Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foods for long distance walk page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually quite amazed you can take a group out for a 28 mile hike and get it done in 13 hours. That's faster than 2 miles an hour. And you do it with a group? That's incredible. It's hard enough to do it solo or with just one other person.

Anyway, if you do 28 mile hikes daily you're going to have to eat a lot of food. Daily marathons will make you very hungry within a couple of weeks.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Shbikes, I am not certain if it is an international or a Belgian-Dutch cultural thing, but there are a lot (like in every small town!) of '4daysies' or '5daysies' or '6daymarches' being organized in the Netherlands during spring and summer, mostly take place on 4 evenings in a row (not exceeding 10 miles per evening usually) but others in nature (along the coastline) or for longer distances (originally military and mass-events, not my preference but that is the only link i could find in English, sorry International Four Days Marches Nijmegen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). You also have long nightwalks (14 hours) or even 24hour walks.

I have truly no idea if this is also an American or English practice? Anyways, I suspect the topic opener is leading such kind of a local event, and the walking pace is over 3 to 4 miles per hour excluding rests, which would make an average of just over 2 miles per hour sound plausible. Usually, there is only one or two small (soup) breaks and a big meal at the end.

Sorry, I went a bit off topic, but i thought it to be a curious relict of military marches.
    Vierdaagse van de IJzer Subject Organization Pagina 15

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    You could take veggies just to eat raw, too. Most would be OK even sitting in your bag all day (right? I mean at least the ones that sit out of refrigeration all day at the store anyway?) A whole avocado could be good.

This sounds really cool. Also, the official '4daagse' site does have an English option if anyone else wants to look

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I frequently ski tour long days and go on long hikes as well in the summer time. I find that jerky, dried fruit and nuts are too dehydrating on my system and try to reserve them for times when I'm out for multiple days in a row or use them in small quantities. I often pack a baked yam with coconut oil/cinnamon, left over meat (chicken breast, steak), grilled sausage, apples with nut butter ect. I try to keep things fresh and easy.

berkoe1 is offline Junior Member
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you to everyone for commenting on the post. A lot of very useful advice. Some people asked what sort of job this was part of. In the UK most Local Authorities have a Walking for Health Project (although many are under threat with the Government cut backs). The Walking for Health Projects are aimed at setting up and leading short walks in the community mainly aimed at people who are not exercising - this fits nicely with the PB exercise-

Many of the walks are tailored to specific groups such as adults with learning difficulties as well as adults with mental health problems.

As part of keeping my job in the future I now also have to make a bit of income hence the long distance walk aimed more at your 'walker types'
    Thanks agan everyone,
    Wayne

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I use a dehydrator to dry a meat and veggie stew. You can make a lot, and then pack it in ziplock baggies. It keeps a good long time and is easy to re-hydrate though you need to experiment to get the method worked out for you. I made enough to maintain 4 people for a 2 week canoe trip without issue. You can make jerky, fruit jerky and even pemmican with the dehydrator and all this will weigh much less than anything else and weight is god if your humping it any distance.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Khainag is offline Member
    could Warmbear or anyone else recommend a dehydrator?

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Tane View Post
    Berkoe1
    A trail mix, nuts and dried fruit are great and even better if you throw a few chocolate buttons in as well.
    I agree with the trail mix - apricots, prunes, raisins, nuts, mango, and dark chocolate. Yummy !!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Khainag View Post
    could Warmbear or anyone else recommend a dehydrator?
    I have one of these. It's nice because it has the fan/heater unit at one end so all the trays get even air flow.
    Amazon.com: Good4U 6 - tray Food Dehydrator: Sports & Outdoors

Dehydrated lean meat+rendered fat=Pemmican, the ultimate trail food (used by native Americans forever)

http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

This is the best how to guide to making Pemican I have found complete with photos.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I found an AMERICAN HARVEST brand new in the box in the garbage. I cant recommend any other as this is what I have. it works ok but the trays are really fragile. This was about 15 years ago, it is still running.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast