Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: did mark just say corn syrup is "ok" page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

did mark just say corn syrup is "ok"

In this post: Dear Mark: Superfoods, BCAAs and Fasted Training, Hot Sauce, and Three More Questions | Mark's Daily Apple

Mark says corn syrup is OK. Wtf? He even says there that having a small amount of HFCS shouldn't be a problem. When did he change his mind on this?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Here?

One small note: corn syrup is different from high-fructose corn syrup, with the former being a more benign sweetener composed mostly of glucose rather than fructose. Limit both, but don’t feel the need to run shrieking from the room when plain ol’ corn syrup comes sauntering in.
    Well, he's always talked about 80/20. But I'm not eating that crap.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i think what he's saying, if i'm reading it right, is that corn syrup isn't has bad as HFCS, and the amount that a person would encounter in a small amount of hot sauce isn't going to do any noticeable damage. those amounts are going to be negligible. i'm sure he wouldn't be making the same recommendation if someone was about to start putting commercial bbq sauce on everything.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    "corn syrup is different from high-fructose corn syrup, with the former being a more benign sweetener composed mostly of glucose rather than fructose. Limit both, but don’t feel the need to run shrieking from the room when plain ol’ corn syrup comes sauntering in."

Hardly an endorsement.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    From Mark's article that you referenced:

"One small note: corn syrup is different from high-fructose corn syrup, with the former being a more benign sweetener composed mostly of glucose rather than fructose. Limit both, but don’t feel the need to run shrieking from the room when plain ol’ corn syrup comes sauntering in."

I think he's just saying that you shouldn't eat a lot of it, but if you have a little bit here and there, there's no reason to stress out about it. I think that's a pretty wise attitude. A tiny bit of corn syrup won't ruin your health, but stressing over it will.

Paleobird Guest
    Ya, I don't think he's saying that either is good, just that one is less bad than the other.

Mark is clearly making corn syrup the base of his revised PB food pyramid. Dip your bacon in it, people.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Mark is clearly making corn syrup the base of his revised PB food pyramid. Dip your bacon in it, people.
    When somebody posts about the "Primal Corn-Syrup Diet" where you eat nothing but bacon dipped in corn syrup for 7+ days straight, I'm holding you responsible.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I believe he is saying sriracha sauce is okay. If you can put enough sriracha on your food to make the corn syrup in it a problem, you've got an impressive skill. And probably a burning butt, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    When somebody posts about the "Primal Corn-Syrup Diet" where you eat nothing but bacon dipped in corn syrup for 7+ days straight, I'm holding you responsible.
    Whoa, whoa, WHOA, buddy, hold on just one second! Let's not be irresponsible about this!

You have to make sure that if you're on the Primal Corn Syrup Diet to supplement with plenty of iodine, after all...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast