Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dry hair - tips and tricks, ladies? page 3

TuppTupp is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I got a real bad tangle and my hair was pretty much pure frizz once I got the it brushed out, and CO helped a lot.

I wet my hair in the sink, put in like 3tbs CO (my hair is approx 4" below bra strap-length) wrapped an old t-shirt around my head like a turban, put a towel over my pillow (just in case the t-shirt fell off) and went to sleep. I think I left it in for 15hrs or so, shampooed twice to get all the oil out, conditioned as usual and air dried. It left my hair freakishly soft and it looked a lot healthier.

Moroccan Oil makes a "light" oil for fine hair. I use the regular oil after washing and keep a small bottle of the light oil in by bag for touch ups in the dry winter air.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Baking soda/vinegar = straw hair
    Coconut oil = greasy mess

This book:MyDevaCurl - Products - Curly Girl Books =

"Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    I'm actually thinking of going shampoo-less soon & just using a good conditioner to "wash" with.
    I do this.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Not overdoing things is what improved the appearance of my hair, which is not curly but wavy, fragile and loads of it:

- only a penny size drop of shampoo rubbed into my hair roots, rinsing it out within half a minute
    - after shampooing it out, apple or neutral vinegar does work VERY well for me, you just have to dillute it immensely! One spoon on a glass of water. I put the dillution over my head of hair. Wait a little (cutting nails) then rinse briefly with luke warm water.

When static:
    - I oil my hair by rubbing a few drops of olive oil in my hands, than stroke the ends of my hair with my hands.

Good luck, it takes some experimentation to find out what works for you.
    Last edited by halfbunny; 01-07-2013 at 01:50 PM.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Winencandy...that is some gorgeous hair. It looks quite similar to mine, even the colour, although mine's not yet that long.

After having read the replies and the no 'poo thread that was started the other day, I think I'll go back to no 'poo again...started the summer before last and it went really well for me, I was conditioner washing once every two weeks or so and conditioning just the ends most every day, finger scrubbing my scalp well with warm water before. Not sure why I decided to go back to using shampoo, even if only once every three weeks or so.

Thanks again to all who weighed in!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    I do this.
    i have tight spiral curls that do great on that

but then eventually my ocd kicks in and says 'WE WON'T FEEL CLEAN WITHOUT 3 SHAMPOOINGS, GRAB THE BOTTLE NOW!'

o.o
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

ORBren is offline Senior Member
    I have long wavy/curly hair and have shampoo free for a couple of years now. Daily Shea butter underneath where it tangles so easily,and always sleep with it "up" bun or braid, I have used a satin pillowcase too to reduce the friction during the night. A light rub of argon oil works for me on frizzy-ish days. I spend under 5 mins a day and 45 mins maybe once a week with a deep conditioning.
    Let us know what you figure out...we all need extra tips and tricks!

aaroncody is offline Junior Member
    Great tips for dry hairs. Can you suggest me some tips for new hair styles because I love to update new hair style collection.

Liquid Gusto is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I wanted to share it may be worth your time to research how many hair products don't actually make your hair any more moisturized, they just cover up the problem and the problem gets worse. Using a "no poo" method can be difficult to adjust to, but very worthwhile. Before I changed my ways, I used to not rinse the conditioner all the way out of my ends and that helped them stay more moist.

These days, for dry ends, I massage a mixture of 50/50 grape seed and sweet almond oil into the ends at night. I put about a nickel size amount in my hands, rub them together, and then massage into the bottom inch or two of my long hair (it's pretty thick). The hair shouldn't be sticking together because there's so much oil on it, but it will look a bit wet/oily. I'd suggest starting small so you don't have a disaster on your hands. In the morning, my hair looks normal again and is moisturized!
    Last edited by Liquid Gusto; 12-14-2013 at 12:08 PM.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Funny how this thread came back from the dead...
    I've been no-poo for a long time now but in the last month or so have started using the Curly Girl method as well - no silicones as well as no sulfates. I co-wash a couple times a week and condition daily and I've noticed the dryness is improving...I'm still working on finding the right combination of styling products to keep it looking well defined and fuzz free during the day.

I do an olive/avocado oil hot treatment once a month or so, steeping rosemary and lavender in the oil for half an hour or so before using it. I also picked up a handmade, crud-free bath and body oil (just grapeseed, hemp and vit e oils with essential oils) and might try running a bit of that through my hair before bed. Thanks!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast