JoanieL is offline Senior Member

A Fat-rich small plate

Primal Fuel
    What you need per person:

4-5 oz of bacon chopped into pieces
    ˝ of a Haas avocado
    Fresh fennel (the bulb part) about an ounce or two sliced very thinly
    ˝ Tblspn Balsamic vinegar

Cook bacon in pan. When bacon is about half way ready, add the fennel.

Slice the avocado thin like you would for a salad (cubed would be fine, but wouldn’t look as pretty). Fan the slices out on a plate.

When bacon is done to your liking (some of the fennel will be right on the verge of burning), spoon the bacon on top of the avocado slices.

Drizzle on the Balsamic.

Eat.

This small plate covers a few little late night cravings: salty, meaty, creamy, crunchy, with just a touch of sweet from the fennel and Balsamic.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Yum!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    This is our family's favorite snack, when we in the Ohio boondocks can get affordable, nice avos. Except we just skip the fennel because most of my people very much dislike that anise-y flavor (they dislike fennel seed, anise seed, and anything that tastes like it as well). So we add lettuce greens on the side and just swoosh the vinaigrette in with the bacon fat, German potato salad style, and pour over.

And you are right - it covers everything, and makes for a really satisfied belly...

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    you had me at fennel!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Crabcakes, that's a great take on it. Isn't it lovely how fat just makes the healthy stuff go down so nicely (and ushers in the good nutrients)? Putting the balsamic in would have been better, but I thought there'd be enough bacon fat to save, so I waited to just drizzle it. Next time, I'll cook the balsamic with the bacon toward the end.

Catherine, I know. I was reluctant to try fennel because I don't like licorice, anisette, Galliano, or anything that smells like that. But it was starting to appear in so many recipes. Then one day I just picked up a bulb figuring that if I hated it, I could just toss it. Made me a fan.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 01-05-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

andrewballa is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yeah, i think so, we add lettuce greens on the side and just swoosh the vinaigrette in with the bacon fat,thanks for your sharing.