Thread: Hey page

steadg is offline Junior Member

Hey

Shop Now
    Hi All

Day one of the Primal Diet for me :-) I'm a 40 year old guy - looking to shed around 35lbs in weight - the sooner the better.

I've started off today with scrambled egg for breakfast - I have had Turkey chuncks for lunch with a few bits of lettuce and some Macademia nuts and dinner tonight will be Tuna.

Whats the limit on Macademia nuts - they are so addictive its a struggle not to eat the whole packet of 150gms worth!

Look forward to seeing how this works for me and am well up for it - have the 21 day Total Body Transformation Book as my bible - roll on the next 21 days to see where I get to!

Gary :-)

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    If you are really trying to lose fat, then calorie dense foods need to be eaten in extreme moderation. Nuts, nut butters, juices, milk, creams, oils of any type, etc. Any of these can be a regular part of your diet, if they are kept to a minimum. However, I am like you, if I have any nuts around or nut butters, one bite sends me binging. It may be best to just keep these away for a while until you reach your goal.

My experience is that eating whole foods such as meats, vegetables and fruits, keep me full and satisfied, which makes it much easier to lose fat. You just have to find what works for you.

Vanessa is offline Junior Member
    try portioning the nuts. I buy "just a handful" packs from Trader Joe's. they are just over an ounce each. That way I know how much I have had. I stay away from the nut butters since they aren't portioned, although there are single serving pounches of nut butters at my local Health Food store. You can also measure quarter cup servings of bulk nuts into small zip lock bags that you can re use.

mauler5858 is offline Member
    Welcome to the group, and best of luck to you.

I am like you and have the Macadamia Fever. When I get them, the biggest thing I have to do(which you should start doing for all foods if you don't already) is to NOT eat them out of their bought container. It is so hard to know what your portion is, and its harder to make yourself stop. When I get macadamias or almonds, I will put my portion in a small bowl before I eat the first bite.
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs
    Goal - Around 200lbs(will be focusing on the mirror and not the scale then)
    Working hard to make a healthier and more active me.

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Hi Gary!

I definitely second the notion to restrict yourself a little bit on the nuts and nut butters etc. A year and a half ago when I started the primal blueprint I went a little crazy on the almonds and I didn't start to lose the excess fat I wanted to lose until I got a handle on my intake of them. You can definitely still eat nuts, just limit your portion to a sensible quantity. Also, don't be afraid of fattier cuts of meat, they are more calorie dense but the fat will satiate you for much longer than really lean meats, plus fat just plain tastes good! I wish you the best of luck on your primal journey!

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I eat the Artisana raw nut butter packs. They're individually portioned and are so, so good. They also make a macadamia butter one. We buy them by the case, and I keep one in my purse, some at work, etc., etc.

As for whole nuts, I typically try to never eat more in one sitting than I can comfortably and easily hold in one hand.

AshReachingHigher is offline Junior Member
    Hi Gary!

I'm new to the forum as well. Just to quickly answer your macadamia question - I think about 1/4 a cup... or as I like to look at it: a small palm full o' nuts. That's probs about 225-250 cals. Plus lots of good fat.

Snack on and good luck with your weight loss goals.

Ash

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadg View Post
    looking to shed around 35lbs in weight - the sooner the better.

I've started off today with scrambled egg for breakfast - I have had Turkey chuncks for lunch with a few bits of lettuce and some Macademia nuts and dinner tonight will be Tuna.

Whats the limit on Macademia nuts - they are so addictive its a struggle not to eat the whole packet of 150gms worth!
    Gary,

I pretty well gave up eating nuts for weight loss purposes. I would not try and lose weight too quickly but look for one or perhaps two pounds per week. I averaged out at 1.5lbs a week from March to December making four stone. Having said that, I decided on what I call primal lite as I will eat potatoes, peas, beans etc. I very occasionally eat rice. I have a small choccy treat every day and wine three times a week to keep me bucked up.

I also used an online free calorie counter & weight log to make sure I was on track. I discovered that my very healthy nut, seed and dried fruit muesli was twice the calories of what I eat for breakfast now, which is a two large egg with either mushrooms or spinach fried in a little coconut oil omelette type dish. Lunch is either a tin of fish or roast chicken thigh with salad stuff. Dinner is whatever SWMBO cooks. Mind you, today as she's ill, I fried some curly kale in coconut oil, then added bacon, 3oz chopped onion and 3oz mushrooms. When that was cooking nicely I whacked in some sweet chilli sauce to add a bit of zing. Deelishus! Especially washed down with a glass or two of red.

For fitness, I bought a pullup/chinup/dips tower off eBay for 40 and a sandbag holder & three bags of sand. I already had some free weights that I never used. I put two bags of sand in an old rucksack to do squats. I have a go at press ups, dips, plank/sit ups (depending how I feel), and strength training with the weights. I also try sprinting once or twice a week.

The food regime and fitness stuff seems to be working for me as I am trimming down and can shift more weight than when I started.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

bamabelle is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome. I am on day number 10 of paleo, so still have my sea legs as well I don't have much advise to offer yet, but wanted to say hi and good luck!