Thread: daily protein intake calculation, lbs vs. kg page

Primal_Instinct is offline Junior Member

daily protein intake calculation, lbs vs. kg

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I am living in a place that use kilograms instead of lbs and whole 0.7 to 1 gram protein per body mass thing confuses me since it uses lbs. I weigh 89 kg and if i convert it to lbs it would be 196 lbs and that is waaay too big difference in terms of protein intake i should have take.. Any ideas for folks using kg?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    then go with 1.2-1.5g/kg. So think like 140g/day max. That will fall in line with .7-1g/lb of LEAN MASS ( I think you missed the "lean" part )

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    2.2 lbs per kg so 1.4g - 2.2g / kg of lean mass.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Yeah I really muddled that up with my response. So to clarify:

I've seen recommendations for 1-1.5g/kg of total body mass based on experiments in nitrogen balance.

The PB recommendations are for .7-1g/lb of lean body mass are actually a bit more specific I think, but mach up quite well.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Now I'm really confused. I'm just trying to discover what my protein intake in grams, per day, should be. I went online to a BMI calculator site and discovered my lean body mass is 96.13. My BMI is 22.3. I'm 5' 4", female and weigh 130. Doing the figuring, and I don't even remember how I did it, I came out at 48.065 grams of protein per day. Does this sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Now I'm really confused. I'm just trying to discover what my protein intake in grams, per day, should be. I went online to a BMI calculator site and discovered my lean body mass is 96.13. My BMI is 22.3. I'm 5' 4", female and weigh 130. Doing the figuring, and I don't even remember how I did it, I came out at 48.065 grams of protein per day. Does this sound right?
    Are you trying to lose weight or build muscle? Looks like you should be around 65-95g/day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Are you trying to lose weight or build muscle? Looks like you should be around 65-95g/day or so.
    Actually I'm trying to lose about 5 more lbs. I'm down from 244.8 to 130. Taken 2 years. I have no idea what a 5'4" woman should weigh, but 125 seem reasonable. Trying to increase my fat consumption some, I'm using the rule of thumb, "twice as much fat as protein and half as much carbs as protein". I have to have a gram amount for the protein to start.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 01-05-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Seriously, if you've come this far keep working it out for yourself....seems like you've done great!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Seriously, if you've come this far keep working it out for yourself....seems like you've done great!
    Thanks, but I'd like to see the end of the weight loss part. I've been dancing around 130 for quite some time. I need to buy some clothes but my size is floating somewhere between a 6 and an 8. I plan to eat primal the rest of my life. It's easy and I feel good and am seldom hungry. I lost my husband about 5 years ago and gained a serious understanding of what a "fixed income" really means. Good clothes, not couture, are an investment but for the money I really need them to fit. For awhile, over the past 2 years, I was changing pants sizes so often that I started to buy them from resale shops. I've got so many nice jeans at $7 a pair that I'll probably continue that, at least.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 01-05-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I look at it this way: My goal weight (about 20 pounds away) is 110. At 15% body fat, I will have (110*.85) ~101 pounds of lean body (non fat) mass. Based on metric vs English measures, I'd use this: goal weight = 50kg (how convenient!), and 15% fat mass => 50*.85 = 42.4kg LBM.

Phinney & Vole's recommendation is "Aim for a protein intake between 0.6 to 1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass." That's 1.3 - 2.2g/kg LBM. Thus I'd aim for ~60-110 g protein per day.

Kwasniewski's rule of (height in cm - 100) for protein, half that for carbs, and twice that for fat gives me (at 5'1" or 155cm) -->

55g (+/- 10%) pro, 27g carb, 110g fat

That would give me 55*4 + 27*4 + 110*9 = 1320 kcal/day ... which is really all I need unless I really ramp up the exercise. And at that level I am slowly recomposing (losing fat, according to the tape measure) - so I prefer Kwasniewski's rule of thumb. When I hit my goal, I'll adjust to maintain - probably upping protein first.

You'll have to determine what works best for you -- we are indeed all unique, not just our genetics but our history affecting how we work today.