Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much protein? Really? page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

I know that Mark and others of already low BF say a gram per pound, but that strikes me as both high and illogical for those of us trying to lose weight. I think for someone like me it would mean eating turkey breast and only turkey breast to keep the protein up and the cals down.

I saw a guideline the other day from a doc that says 1/2 gram per day for inactive adults. Now, we are talking something doable and more logical.

Ever since I saw that gram per pound guideline, I've been thinking, "Shouldn't my protein needs - if not bodybuilding - be based on lean muscle and organ weight? It is only those molecules and pounds that need protein, not my, er, fat.

The question ultimately has two parts: First, do we use total weight or lean muscle and organ weight? Second, what is the appropriate amount of daily protein intake?

What say you?

ATZ Guest

1gram per pound if active, or 1g per pound LBM (fat free mass). Whether active of not (and you should be active) the loss of LBM on a diet is NOT what you want, it will slow your metabolism down and hurt any potential gains.

Jedi is offline Member

OTB i think as you are reducing your calories by 1500 per day you should possibly err n the higher side to avoid muscle loss.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

ATZ, I see both measures in your first sentence.

How active is active? If a person is doing standard chores of living, there is an amazing amount of calories burned. Granted, no cardio and not much resistance, but burned they are. On my don't do much of anything except housework and computer days, I'm still burning 3400-3600 calories.

So are you comfortable with 1 gram per LBM, regardless of weight? I.e., all that extra fat.

PS, I'm within 1.5 pounds of reaching my end of July goal. I did hit a pound less five days ago, but that came after a day of lots of outdoor work and sweat.

AdamKayce is offline Junior Member

The best guy I've ever seen on the topic is Robb Wolf - check out his recommendations at RobbWolf.com. He'll set you straight about the amount of protein you need.

And, are you still thinking in terms of calories? If so, you owe it to yourself to read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It's a big book, but so worth it. If you're really really pressed for time, read the introduction and see if you can skip one of the three main sections based on what you may already know. It's a most helpful read.

Clint is offline Senior Member

That's a good point.

Typically, the unwritten caveat to the 1g/1lb is that it is referring to lean body weight and NOT total body weight.

This guideline, as you point out, is also usually given to people who are very active or looking to actively gain muscle mass.

If you are looking to maintain your current muscle mass, lose fat and are doing it through very low-level activity, you, more than likely, don't need that much protein.

If you are looking to maintain your current muscle mass, lose fat and are doing it with PB style exercising (ie lifting heavy and sprinting periodically) then the closer you can get to the 1g/1lb of lean body weight, the better off you'll probably be.

The big thing is just monitor your body comp during your weight loss and if you notice that lean body mass is going along with or instead of fat, then check your protein and/or calorie levels.

dalvarez Guest

I've struggled with this intake (unless I use protein shakes)--any opinions?

Clint is offline Senior Member

dalvarez-

What's your typical daily calorie intake and what foods do you use to obtain protein?

musajen is offline Junior Member

Bayou - I read Primal Body - Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudes (sp?) and in her book she stuck by the RDA layed out by whoever does that (USDA?). The recommendation boils down to about 45-55 g of protein per day.

When I first read it I was like "what!? *%&#$*@&#&$" and stopped reading the book. Don't mess with my protein!

Now that I've had a chance to ponder it, I can see the logic of it...with her point being that FAT is the key macronutrient to fuel our bodies on and excess protein consumed gets converted into sugar anyway (Mark also addresses this conundrum in his book but decides it's not a big deal - and sticks with his protein recommendations).

She had a post on her blog about it - though it seems to not be working?

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/blog/?p=295

Oh, and supposedly the ideal diet for weight loss is one that is 90% fat (study noted in primal body - primal mind).

I guess do with that info what you will? If you do decide to experiment with less protein, make sure you add fat.

dalvarez Guest

PrimalCon New York

chicken

eggs

beef

turkey

fish

that about rounds up the meats I eat. not sure if I ever exceed 4oz. at any serving.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast