Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Althaur's Primal Warrior Journal. page 2

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hey my friend. Found this because the name intrigued me. Great log mate. Im super impressed at your continued ethusiasm were you are. I am sure you have some great people around you but your general mood is inspiring. Im a patient guy who doesnt complain alot but Ill think twice before I do.

How do you find the heat over there this time of year (especially when you go running)?

Your keeping your food quantity pretty low. I take it you bulk up fairly easily?

Your wifes care package sounds amazing.

Great read my friend

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Nice! Hubby and I did the long-distance dating thing for three and a half years, me in Germany and he stateside. We have been married 19 years now, with 4 halflings (as I heard Warmbear call them a couple days ago) to show for it.

I used to send him perfumed cards, too. Back then it was Ralph Lauren's "Lauren" that was "my scent". The first time I did that, I got a call in the middle of the night - he almost hopped a plane over for some together time (ahem).

How long have you been/will you be separated? And what area of the States do you call your home (for example, are you a nice Midwestern boy or a Southern gentleman, that kind of thing)? As I was raised Army and my mother is a German immigrant to the US, I have no real "hometown" per se, just where I happen to hang my hat at the moment, which currently is Ohio.
    By the time I get home, it will have been just over six months. She was gone for 6 months last year as well. Home is now the mid-Atlantic region, but I'm a Cali boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Hey my friend. Found this because the name intrigued me. Great log mate. Im super impressed at your continued ethusiasm were you are. I am sure you have some great people around you but your general mood is inspiring. Im a patient guy who doesnt complain alot but Ill think twice before I do.

How do you find the heat over there this time of year (especially when you go running)?

Your keeping your food quantity pretty low. I take it you bulk up fairly easily?

Your wifes care package sounds amazing.

Great read my friend

Richard
    Thanks Richard! I actually got here in the early Fall, so the heat wasn't too bad. Having been here in the summer before though, you either do your running in the early morning, late evening, or on a treadmill in the air-conditioned gym. Now, I try to run between 14-1530 hrs so it's a little warmer.

I actually eat pretty big helpings usually. I have been cutting back a bit on the snacks though since I have to go to the beach in April. I'm sure my wife is going to want me to wear those damn tight little shorts in Jamaica and I don't want to scare anyone off. LOL

I'm going to experiment the next couple of weeks with increasing my fat and protein to see if it helps with dropping some more body fat. I'm going to add eggs back in for breakfast and have my Primal Fuel/coconut milk shake for a snack after my workout. I want to see if the extra calories will cause my metabolism to kick back up.

I do bulk up pretty easily. Now. After lifting for so many years, I'll put muscle back on pretty quickly. I've kind of developed an aversion to putting on too much mass though. I started to realize, you don't see too many "big" guys living to ripe old age.

My wife takes great care of me. I'm proud to say I am completely spoiled. I just make sure to spoil her even more. I get a box almost weekly from her. Usually fool of coconut milk, primal friendly cookies, nuts, etc. I'm a pretty lucky idiot.

Josh

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    I have been cutting back a bit on the snacks though since I have to go to the beach in April. I'm sure my wife is going to want me to wear those damn tight little shorts in Jamaica and I don't want to scare anyone off. LOL
    Cali, huh? I have never been that far west, but my kids want to go and see. They are interested in the Redwood forests, Sea World, the food in San Francisco, but most of all - the MYTHBUSTERS workshop (even though they know they won't get in to see it). And I would dearly love to see an avocado tree - honestly. I keep hearing from the Cali tribe on here how the avocados just roll down the streets (sbhikes even posted pics) and that sounds like my kind of promised land.

Re those "damn tight little shorts" - ummm, I can understand the wife. On a fit man, those shorts cause unexplained, sudden fevers... But I am absolutely sure you already know that.

Do you get out much with the local population? In my wee experience, the grunts and low-ranking folk I knew tended to look down their noses at the locals and never got as much out of their time overseas as they might have. Are you even allowed to wander off?

I miss Cali. San Francisco is great! I was stationed there for 4 years. The is a restaurant called The Stinking Rose. Everything but two items on the menu has garlic. They have a garlic filet chilli which is amazing.

And yes, the avocados are everywhere. A lot cheaper than the East coast as well. I use avocados a lot back home, just hate paying $2 each.

I get to deal with locals quite a bit here. This is my seventh trip. I hope to never come back. I don't mind the folks here. They are like people anywhere else in the world. 2 things to remember; they want to be respected and they want to provide for and prtotect their families. As long as you can remember that while you're standing knee-deep in stink, shake the hand that's offered, smile and show you understand those two things with your eyes, you can make a difference. Of course, sometimes they don't realize/accept those two things and you have to be prepared for bad things. Ideally, it's avoided. Less than ideal, the bad thing happens to them and not you.

Eh, enough of that. Some wonderful people here though.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    I miss Cali. San Francisco is great! I was stationed there for 4 years. The is a restaurant called The Stinking Rose. Everything but two items on the menu has garlic. They have a garlic filet chilli which is amazing.
    Ohhhhhhh (tremors of food-joy...) THERE. IS. NO. SUCH. THING. AS. TOO. MUCH. GARLIC.

I am on their website now... and the next time hubby is in SF for a business trip, I will send him there! Thank You!!

Actually, hubby indulges me everywhere he goes. The poor man grew up with a very unimaginative cook mom and he has been getting a culinary education being married to me ever since, 'cause I ask him to go and experience stuff and then he brings back some extra for me. When he has to go to Baton Rouge, I always send him out for crawfish etouffee and boudin and all that, which he brings back to OH. TX brings pecan pie, SC brings Carolina bbq, NJ brings Silver Queen corn and beefsteak tomatoes, in NYC it is Peter Luger's steak sauce and cheesecake... (yeah, some of it is not Primal, but I wait until the good stuff comes back and then it is so infrequent that it easily qualifies under 80/20)

Seventh trip? Whew. Hope the Universe hears you after you are done with this one!

Ack! Missed yesterday. I'll try to remember my eats.

11 JAN
    Breakfast - normal shake
    Lunch - 2 hamburger patties, cauliflower and sweet potato with butter.
    Snack - 1 cup of kiwi yogurt.
    Dinner - normal shake

12 Jan
    Breakfast - normal shake.
    Lunch - 2 chicken thigh and legs, chicken breast, half of a roasted potato and mixed vegetables.
    Snack - 1 cup kiwi yogurt
    Dinner - steak fajita meat (chow hall's version, bleh) with enchilada sauce, small side of refried beans and a salad with blue cheese dressing.

I didn't work out yesterday or today as my legs are still screaming from my last gym day. Busy day tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get to the gym if I don't run out of time.

Yesterday was busy. I didn't get a chance to work out since I got back to the wire to late. Wasn't a great food day either. Oh well. It happens. Back on the wagon.

Breakfast - shake
    Lunch - Roast beef, mashed potatoes, shredded turkey, tomato salad. AND, pralines and cream ice cream.
    Dinner - ham and roast beef slices with swiss cheese and onions. AND, another small helping of P&C ice cream. Sigh.
    Snacks - half cup of cherry yogurt, pecans.

All in all, it wasn't a horrible day. I won't stress too much since it's been a while since I fell of the wagon like that. Today started with eggs, cheese omelet and bacon for breakfast. Probably have a shake for lunch since I'll be hitting the gym at lunch time. Chest, shoulders and triceps day.

Yesterday was okay. Things went well until a coworker got a box with the best cookies in the world in it. I had one. It is a sugar cookie with a buttercream frosting. I swear that must be what Angel poop tastes like, so good but not good for you.

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, egg and cheese omelet and bacon.
    Snack - one cup of kiwi yogurt
    Lunch - shake
    Dinner, 2 chicken breasts, salad and gyro meat and a couple of squares of Lindt 70% chocolate.

Workout
    Weighted dips - 6 sets
    Cable flies - 3 sets
    Over head press - 6 sets
    lateral raises - 2 sets
    Over head cable extensions - 2 sets
    Pressdown - 2 sets
    Abs - 5 sets

Whew! Falling behind. I've been busy, and mission comes first. Let's start with eats.

Tuesday:
    Breakfast - shake
    Lunch - 2 hamburger patties with swiss cheese, salad with blue cheese.
    Snack - 2 peeps. Damn coworker!
    Dinner - 3 slices of pizza for a going away party for one of our guys.

Wed:
    Breakfast - shake
    Lunch - chicken and steak fajita (meat only) with cheese, small helping of refried beans and asparagus.
    Dinner - 3 chicken breasts, vinegar coleslaw, one cup of berry yogurt.

My workouts were pretty good. Been focusing more on lifting right now over cardio.

Tuesday - 5x500 meter intervals on the rower.

Wed:
    Bent over row - 5 sets
    Pullups - 3 sets
    Shrugs - 3 sets
    bent over lateral raises - 2 sets
    standing dumbbell curl - 2 sets
    incline dumbbell curl - 2 sets
    hammer dumbbell curl - 1 set

My biceps are pretty sore today. Went up in weights and/or reps on every exercise. I want to go for a run today, but it will depend on how much crap is in the air this afternoon. May have to settle for either the treadmill (bleh) or rowing again.

I nice long run would be great after sitting at my desk typing all day. That's the only thing that sucks about my job. A couple of hours of excitement followed by days of typing and boredom. Maybe I should get Twister for the office. Heh heh.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast