Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Blood Pressure and Kelp Supplements page

High Blood Pressure and Kelp Supplements

Shop Now
    I've been primal for 2 years and I've reaped huge health benefits. However, I've been struggling to lower my BP. The funny thing is I have no family history of HBP, so I'm at a loss to what could be causing it. I'm beginning to suspect that maybe I'm low in certain vitamins and minerals. I'm also under a lot of stress because of work (military) so that could be a cause. And I drink my fair share of coffee, but I find that hard to believe it could raise my BP that much.

I've also been fighting a bought of cold feet and just all around low body temp as well. A couple weeks ago I went to the doc for an unrelated issue and my vitals were a temp of 97.5 and BP of around 140/85. I've done some digging on the internet and I suspect I might have an iodine deficiency, and I've also heard supplementing iodine can be pretty dangerous. Today I took a kelp supplement and my body temp did a 180 so I suspect iodine may be a culprit.

So my question is - What vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause an elevated BP? Are kelp supplements safe, and what else should I take?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Sodium, potassium and magnesium imbalances cause hypertension through imbalances of aldosterone.

Appending: If you're under heavy stress, aldosterone is likely elevated causing spikes in blood pressure and lower levels of electrolytes.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 01-03-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

I think my sodium intake has dropped significantly since going Primal. The only thing I salt are my eggs in the morning and whatever meat I'm cooking. Some mornings I don't have eggs. I tend to eat a banana or two a day as well so I may have an imbalance. What are good sources of magnesium?

I appended further to describe in further detail. Coffee(lol) is a rich source of magnesium, as well as orange juice, chocolate, etc. Epsom bath salts are an efficient way to get magnesium directly, but magnesium isn't too hard to get through diet. I'm sure you eat enough leafy greens too on a primal diet.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Ah, gotcha lol... so I'm assuming my magnesium intake is in check then. Could too little sodium intake cause HBP then?

Yeah, more aldosterone is synthesized also when there isn't enough sodium in the diet. Which causes sodium to be lost in urine and sweat, and also increased loss of potassium, and magnesium.

The loss of potassium would likely attribute to the high blood pressure.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 01-03-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Hmm that's interesting. I guess I'll have to make an effort to get more salt in my diet then (I don't know where though lol). I guess the only way to figure this all out is to have a blood panel done to see what I'm missing.

Baking soda and salting food. I had hypertension too, my BP dropped 20 points just by adding salt and baking soda to orange juice as that's a good balance of sodium, potassium and magnesium.

Bag breathing helps too, btw

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Stress is a HUGE factor in high blood pressure. Even if you have the most amazingly perfect diet in the world, chronic stress can still cause high BP (among other health issues). I think stress reduction would be a great place to start.

*Alcohol also lowers BP since it's a vasodilator. So why not kill two birds with one stone and have a few drinks to relax...

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Stress is a HUGE factor in high blood pressure. Even if you have the most amazingly perfect diet in the world, chronic stress can still cause high BP (among other health issues). I think stress reduction would be a great place to start.

*Alcohol also lowers BP since it's a vasodilator. So why not kill two birds with one stone and have a few drinks to relax...
    LOL... I'm not a huge drinker but that does sound like a good idea I did hear though that alcohol can raise BP (maybe that's some CW nonsense)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast