Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very, very long hair Qs page

badgergirl is online now Senior Member

Very, very long hair Qs

Primal Fuel
    I do not have long hair, but I find myself needing to know the best way to braid/plait ultra-long hair (think Rapunzel) to minimise the appearance of length - fishtail? two french plaits? Also, related questions:
    • what kinds of braids would one wear in bed?
    • could one oil it with coconut oil or similar instead of washing it and do the bristle brush 100 strokes routine?
    • what is the most intricate braid one could reasonably - with dexterity and practice, say, if one had been doing plaits since a child - be able to do on one's own hair?

I'm thinking here of straight Northern European blonde hair - Nordic descent. Any grokettes with bum-skimming hair out there want to enlighten a curious (short-dark haired) sister? THANK YOU.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There's a really good forum called the Long Hair Forum.

The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Oh you're talking of my daughter aren't you? LOL

My 6 year old has the most beautiful hair. Actually, both my daughters do. My 6 yr old has hair that grows faster than anyone I've ever known. Thick, blonde, and yes, I do call her Rapunzel. My 3yr old is nicknamed Goldilocks b/c she has long wavy blonde hair.

I have done fishtail on my 6yr old, however her hair is so fine (lots and lots of fine hair like mine so it looks thick), but didn't notice it shortening. Perhaps I just didn't do it well enough. A normal braid will shorten her hair very much so. I'll just leave it in a braid, or pin it up after I braid it into a bun. I also like to do a sideswipe braid to keep the hair out of her face. She's freaking gorgeous, I'd love to post pics of her hair.... but yea, public forum and all, sorry, LOL!

Hope that helps some
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Well, I have the bum-skimming hair but not much for braiding skills so it mostly ends up in a braided bun if I want it out of my way. Anything with french braiding will help make it look shorter as that will take up some of the length into the part of the braid that's on the head. You can do really elaborate french braids that go around the head, and those would probably draw up even more length. Also, a single braid in the back will look shorter if it's pulled forward over the shoulder because the drape around the neck and shoulder area takes up length as well.

For bed, I wear it in a single braid, low on the neck, so that it creates as little lump under my head as possible. I could also do two braids, but honestly, that's twice the work at bedtime and I can't be bothered.

I've never tried something like brushing with coconut oil instead of washing, but I think there are several cultures out there that do that sort of thing (I know that Indian women use it as a hair treatment, but they tend to have quite thick hair that benefits from a heavier oil). I have thick, wavy hair, so I use a heavier oil-based leave-in conditioner that probably functions a bit like coconut oil would, but I still wash my hair.

The trouble is that long hair tends to weigh itself down a lot, and adding coconut oil to straight blonde hair would have to be done carefully so that it would not end up looking limp.

I don't have to wash mine as often, though, because brushing distributes scalp oils down the length of the hair, so it takes longer to look dirty/greasy than shorter hair in my experience--I've had everything from super long hair to a shaved head so I have first hand experience.

The hundred strokes thing is kind of a myth from what I have read. Overbrushing can cause breakage and irritation of the scalp. You want enough to detangle and to stimulate circulation, but the hundred strokes twice a day is excessive.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There's a really good forum called the Long Hair Forum.

The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards
    I fell down the rabbit hole! This is great, SB, thank you! So, my thinking is that either a fishtail-style or a French plait that ended in a bun would be the best super-long hair disguise.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    definitely would say a french braid shortens my hair significantly---especially if you can pin up, wrap or underpin the tail end. I hate sleeping in any kind of braid.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

yelena is offline Member
    Yeah, the Long Hair Community has vast piles of information, especially about different washing and hair care methods.

I have thigh-length hair. I wear it in a regular old three-strand braid for sleep. To take up length, the more strands you have in a braid, the better. So, if you can do four- or five-strand braids, that's good stuff. Fishtail braids do take up length, but they take So Long to do. I've tried it, and it would take me like 45 minutes to fishtail braid my hair. I don't have that kind of motivation.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Yup, long hair forum is a great resource.
    Coconut oil works good for some but Wrecks my hair. Makes it feel very dry & brittle & takes ages to correct. I prefer emu oil or argan oil.
    I have wavy thick coarse blond hair a bit past my waist (this picture is from about a year ago..)

If braiding for sleep, 1 braid down the back works well but does create a bit of a lump that sometimes can screw with your neck if you sleep on it wrong, 2 braids is less of a problem as the braids are thinner so don't create so much of a lump, there also easier to braid as you dont have to reach behind your head.. but are more likely to try to strangle you in the night.... I seldom braid it for sleeping though...
    I usally do a gypsy braid if I want it out of the way..
    Use a long silk scarf to french braid down both sides & then wrap around head & pin in place, looks like this...
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Damn, that picture makes me wish I actually had the knack of french braiding my own hair. Sigh.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I wish I could figure out how to do fancy things like that with my hair, too. It's about as long as yours. I have been putting jojoba oil on it. Still is a pile of static.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast