Thread: Store bought sauces.... page

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member

Store bought sauces....

Which are the worst for TPB?
    Which are ok?
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Salsas, by and large, are ok. (At least, here they are. Read the label to be sure.)
    I've run across a few acceptable pasta sauces (only olive oil, minimal added sugar, no funky chemicals.)
    I have yet to run across a truly fermented tamari (wheat free soy) sauce at the grocery, but I did find it at the Oriental market.
    Curry pastes are by and large ok.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If you're talking tomato sauce, by the time I found one that might be acceptable, it was expensive enough that I switched to organic tomato paste and now make my own. Honest to goodness, how big food turns a basically healthy thing like tomatoes into a garbage sugar/canola fest would make me want to tear my hair out if I let it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    Salsa and most hot sauces (for example, Sriracha) are paleo-friendly

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Madras - A Red Hot Curry Sauce From the Tip of India's Tongue

The southern Indian city of Madras is no more. It's now known as Chennai. But thankfully the name Madras lives on — in shorts fashioned from the eponymous crazy-quilt fabric, and in this fiery hot curry sauce made popular during the British reign. Our recipe veers from tradition in one important respect: Every ingredient is Certified Organic, sourced from the very best growers as only Seeds of Change® can. Other than that, it's authentically Indian. By way of Britain, of course. Not unlike those shorts.
    USDA Organic Quality Assurance International - Certified Organic

Ingredients
    Water, tomatoes in juice*, onions*, tomato puree* (water, tomato paste*), sunflower oil*, tapioca starch*, evaporated cane sugar*, cilantro*, sea salt, lemon juice*, garlic*, coriander*, cumin*, ginger*, turmeric*, paprika*, cayenne pepper*, black pepper*, chili pepper*, fennel*, fenugreek*, cardamon*, cinnamon*, cloves*.

I use this simmering sauce By Seeds of Change. Maybe it rates as fair bec. of the sunflower oil altho the sugar amt isn't too bad IMO. I get it at the local health food store.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    If if it doesn't contain any form of wheat, canola, corn, soy, or HFCS, then its fair game as far as I'm concerned. Good luck with that.

When I transitioned to primal I starting using far fewer processed and prepared products...but we are still far from perfect. I pay a little more for prepared pasta sauces and salsa without any of the above, and I make most salad dressing from scratch, but I still buy Hellmann's mayo.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'm able to get a good, paleo friendly (small amount of cane sugar), organic pasta sauce for $3.50/ 16 oz jar.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Frank's Red Hot sauce, the original type, is completely paleo. I also buy these Stonehill salad dressings, they have one particular type that's nothing but olive oil, balsamic and herbs.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Store bought spaghetti sauce - can of diced tomatoes, jar of Italian spices.
    Store bought curry sauce - can of coconut, jar of curry spice.
    Store bought cream dressing - jar of pick-your-poison-white-stuff (sour cream, yogurt, etc.), jar of steak seasoning/curry spice/Italian spices.
    Store bought fish dip - jar of pick-your-poison-white-stuff, cut up dill pickles, mustard

Most things are pretty easy to figure out a sauce for without too much cooking. The one I have trouble with is BBQ. Have to stick to dry rub or just go 20% on that one.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wolfgang Puck makes a really good line of all natural sauces that are Primal compliant. Those are found just about anywhere.

Recommend finding where the <anything other than white bread folks> do their shopping. E.g. really good salsa at a Mexican bodega or really good Thai fish sauce at an Asian market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast