Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spaghetti Squash v. Cauliflower: FIGHT! page

merryish is offline Senior Member

Spaghetti Squash v. Cauliflower: FIGHT!

Ok, overly dramatic thread title is overly dramatic! It's really just a quick question.

A few days ago, I tried two new dishes. One involved spaghetti squash as "pasta", one involved mashing cauliflower with butter and salt. Both were delicious. Nothing else I ate that week was new or exciting.

Later that night, something horrible happened in my digestive system. For the good of the community, I will not describe it here; however, it was not unlike a certain key scene from Alien. It didn't leave me dead on the kitchen table, but it did leave me in such a state that death seemed extremely attractive.

I'm sure either the squash or the cauliflower was responsible, and I've been avoiding both of them both ever since, due to PTSD.

Any thoughts on which might have been the culprit? Or might it have been the combination of the two?

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    It could also have nothing to do with the two new foods and you just picked up a big.

If you eat broccoli and other squash, it very likely has nothing to do with the new vegetables.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    in my opinion, spaghetti squash can do no wrong...and cauliflower is just plain untrustworthy.

but, if you want to figure it out you should probably try each recipe individually, in a smaller amount. it could be neither of them, or you could figure out how evil cauliflower is.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    It could also have nothing to do with the two new foods and you just picked up a big.
    If you eat broccoli and other squash, it very likely has nothing to do with the new vegetables.
    This plus you may just have overloaded on the fiber content (kind of like taking a huge dose of metamucil) and your poor digestive system just hit the panic button. It's easy to overdo the quantity on something like that that is new+yummy+supposed to be good for you.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I eat both on a regular basis - more of the cauliflower mash because I can buy cauliflower frozen, so it's in my home almost always.

The only time I've ever had an issue was one night when I was feeling lazy (see my avatar for my sloth-like personality), so I prepared the spaghetti squash with only lots of butter and some salt. No Alien experiences, but I was a bit queasy. For me, I figured it was the butter because it's only been in the last few months that I eat butter. I went years on lower fat frankenbutters.

Since they were both new and you ate them both in the same day, it would be tough to figure out. I agree with primalrob in trying each one separately on different days.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    in my opinion, spaghetti squash can do no wrong...and cauliflower is just plain untrustworthy.
    Yep, untrustworthy and gross. I thank heaven for spaghetti squash.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm betting on teh cauliflower. I've had fibre-tastic experiences with it in the past :!

Quote Originally Posted by merryish View Post
    Later that night, something horrible happened in my digestive system. For the good of the community, I will not describe it here; however, it was not unlike a certain key scene from Alien. It didn't leave me dead on the kitchen table, but it did leave me in such a state that death seemed extremely attractive.
    Lol.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I'm Team Spaghetti Squash. I've never had a problem with it. This is not to say that I don't love a good cauliflower mash, but I've had gassy experiences with it in the past. Whereas I regularly eat the entire interior of a spaghetti squash with no issues.

I'm also Team You Overdosed On Fiber.

The only time I've ever had an issue was one night when I was feeling lazy (see my avatar for my sloth-like personality), so I prepared the spaghetti squash with only lots of butter and some salt. No Alien experiences, but I was a bit queasy.
    That is so hilarious (though I'm sympathetic), because spaghetti squash with butter and garlic salt is my go-to comfort food. Like when I'm having girly cramps or something. In the past it'd have been an entire pot of Kraft Mac & Cheese. Now it's spaghetti squash with butter, sometimes some Tony Cachere's on there. Buttered noodles FTW.

merryish is offline Senior Member
    jkr, I wish it were just a bug, but I don't think it was - if it was, it was an incredibly brief and targeted one that the military should seriously consider weaponizing. I do eat a lot of broccoli with no problems, and I don't recall ever having problems with butternut squash, though I only eat it once in a while. But the reaction was so immediate and drastic and short-term that food sensitivity seems more likely.

Paleobird and Heatseeker, you're probably right - I'm not really a very fiber-eating person, so this might have just been an OD.

Okay, you guys have convinced me! I'll try the experiment tonight, with spaghetti squash in smaller quantity. Mainly because I still have spaghetti squash, but I'm out of cauliflower.

I also have butter, and garlic, and salt. I'll report back tomorrow!
    Last edited by merryish; 01-03-2013 at 03:44 PM.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like to do Italian night with spaghetti squash and a meat sauce that includes both Italian sausage and ground beef. Lots of garlic, olive oil, and red pepper flakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast