Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports readers rate Paleo diet #2 page

Dirlot is offline Senior Member

Consumer Reports readers rate Paleo diet #2

Primal Fuel
    Although I take Consumer Reports with a grain of salt it seems readers of Consumer Reports have rated The Paleo Diet 2nd overall.

The diets looked at were:

Commercial Plans - Weight Watchers (74), Medifast (70), Jenny Craig (66), Nutrisystem, (56)

DIY Plans- Myfitnesspal (83), Paleo Diet (80), Mediterranean Diet (77), SparkPeople (76), South Beach Diet (72), Grlycemic Index Diet (71), Low-carb diet (other than Atkins) (71), Atkins Diet (70), Slim Fast (60)

The criteria were Initial Weight Loss, Maintenance, Calorie Awareness, Food Variety, Fruits and Veg, Exercise. Where Paleo really failed compared to Myfitnesspal was calorie awareness. In my mind that is one of the strengths of Paleo, no tracking just eat.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    this is really great to see. ancestral diets seem to always come in at the bottom when "examined" by "health experts" so seeing how high scored by actual consumers is terrific.
    i agree about no tracking being a huge strength, but i can see how it could get knocked down for that. i think it's better if people understand that there's no need for calorie tracking.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Meh. If it would have rated it last I would have dismissed the results. So it would be hypocritical to get excited by results that are essentially confirmation bias.

I guess it shows that there's an increasing awareness of paleo out there.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    The difference here is that it was the consumers who rated it not the magazine.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. So if anything I guess it shows an increasing awareness of paleo among the wider public.

Of course, my doctor says that I'm the only person at his practice who he's ever heard mention it, so maybe not...
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Anyone with a quarter of a brain can look at that and think, hmm, what if I put my paleo diet into myfitnesspal?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    We are educating the medical community one doctor/NP/PA at a time. I have a new NP, and he can only look at my history. A year ago I was 300 + lbs, having hypertention, and "high" cholesterol. Now I am 195, with a normal BP, and "normal" cholesterol.
    I flat out told him, in the beginning, I did the opposite of what they wanted me to do (eat low fat/high carb, blah blah blah). He may not be a believer, but at least in me, he sees changes for the better.
    I think many people are beginning to open their eyes (especially the overweight/obese crowd) that years of SAD dieting isn't the way to go, but instead live a new lifestyle of healthy foods and getting out and moving.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Anyone with a quarter of a brain can look at that and think, hmm, what if I put my paleo diet into myfitnesspal?
    You inspired me to try this. It recommended that I eat 1,720 calories a day, 237g of carbs and 57 grams of fat a day. I failed at all of them.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Since when does increased awareness of Paleo/Primal rate a "meh?" I, for one, want everybody to be Paleo/Primal! It would save a lot of people a lot of pain. We as a country would spend a LOT less money on diabetes treatments and drugs. At the very least, I wouldn't be treated to People-of-Wal-Mart every time I'm on a sidewalk.

I'm reviving this thread because the latest issue of Woman's World Magazine has a blazing headline on the cover: "Lose 15 pounds in two weeks on AMERICA'S BEST DIET!" On page 18, there it is: PALEO, citing Consumer Reports and referencing Loren Cordain.

However, leave it to a woman's magazine to F it up. They insist the Paleo dieters should continue to eat lean meat. They say that it's better than Atkins because "it doesn't encourage you to replace apples and carrots with fatty meat and butter." GRRRR If you don't eat your fat, you won't really feel full and you're more likely to revert to the old SAD ways.

And it does make me uneasy that they don't mention that there is a one-two month strict adjustment period. Nor do they mention how difficult it is to follow Paleo/Primal -- in a practical sense. Women who read these magazines generally don't have the time or mental energy -- not to mention money -- to hunt for grass fed stuff and cook all their meals from scratch. It's more likely to discourage the masses to follow Paleo. Much easier to crack open a can of Slim-Fast.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    They insist the Paleo dieters should continue to eat lean meat. They say that it's better than Atkins because "it doesn't encourage you to replace apples and carrots with fatty meat and butter." GRRRR If you don't eat your fat, you won't really feel full and you're more likely to revert to the old SAD ways.
    Saturated fat is the bogeyman that won't die. I was watching a PBS show about the Hunter/Farmer diet which sorts people into two body types and discourages "hunters" from eating grains and filling up instead on "proteins" like chicken breast, shrimp, beans, and peanuts. Can't decide if it's progress or not.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast