Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turnip ideas? page

smokedsalmon is offline Member

turnip ideas?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I received some lovely turnips in my CSA box and now they're just hanging out in my kitchen. Does anybody have some suggestions for how to prepare? I see there are several recipes here on MDA that have turnips--anybody have a recipe they really love?

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Do turnips taste good to you?

Some people supposedly have a genetic aberration which results in turnips tasting pretty awful. As in, the only way I've found to make Turnips at all palatable is to cook them to death. Cut into 1cm cubes and roast about 3x as long as I would cook potatoes. I normally like my vegetables raw/barely cooked, but with turnips even well done isn't enough, they need to be cooked to death. I don't know what percentage of the population has that condition but if you do, turnips will be a disappointment.

Yeah I have no problem with turnips. I've only had them roasted, just looking for some other ideas to either try out or file away in the back of my head!

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    That's cool. I was all happy the first time my CSA box had turnips, 'cause I'd never tried them, then...

Noooooo I'm just so happy that I got something besides kale. Or Swiss chard. Both of which I love, but I've been getting...a lot of those things.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Are you talking about small white turnips or big yellow turnips?

For the small white ones I slice them very thinly, lay them in the bottom of a pan, just cover with red wine and simmer slowly till the wine is all gone and the slices are purple (about 1/2 an hour).

The big orange ones are nice boiled and then mashed with lots of butter (as in haggis, neeps & tatties)

The big ones. A turnip mash--sounds good! I'll admit though I'll skip the haggis...

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Wrap them in pancetta
    Quarter them, braise, and finish with white balsamic

I had some in a chorizo and short rib stew a couple days ago and I couldn't even tell they were in there.

jacs1961 is offline Junior Member
    I was born in Kirkcaldy,so hello to fifer...my Mom was a big haggis fan at New Years, however I have not taken up the tradition...I do boil the turnip with carrots, or sweet potatoes add lots of butter and nutmeg...

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    I like them diced in a root roast with parsnips, carrots, potato, fennel, onion, etc, etc. Whatever roots you can find.

What I really like, though, is raw turnip used as a dip for guacamole. This is too strong for a lot of people, but turnips are just like big radishes - some are milder than others.

I've also made turnip curry. Treat the turnip dice just like it was potato dice in the curry. Really mild.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast