Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Primal and obsessed with ketostix page

New to Primal and obsessed with ketostix

Primal Fuel
    So I am now 6 days primal- and I love seeing the ketostix turn pink. Does anyone else have this obsession? I also have questions about how the ketones thing all fits in with primal. I haven't read the book yet (it's on the way though).

So, first our bodies switch over from burning sugar to using fat, and in the meantime we eliminate excess ketones. I've read that this process can take about 3 weeks.

My questions:
    After my body switches over to burning fat efficiently, what happens? Will the ketostix not turn pink?
    Is this a good way to monitor how my body is doing?

TIA-

Ok, I am wondering if this is posted in the right spot. Not sure. Also, does anyone else even use the ketostix? They are really an old habit from previous LC times. I just really like seeing that I am in ketosis.

Anyway, maybe my questions will be answered when the book arrives.

Kristy2078 is offline Member
    You will continue to produce ketones as long as fat is the primary source of energy for your body and you are not ingesting much in terms of sugar. But, if you ever need to get urinalysis done for whatever reason, be sure to tell the nurse what you are eating so the doctor doesn't panic and think you have become diabetic (some diabetics produce ketones because their bodies can't utilize sugars).

Thank you Kristy! And the manufacturers of ketostix thank you too, since I will keep using them.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    fwiw: ketosis isn't really a requirement for following the PB.

Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    fwiw: ketosis isn't really a requirement for following the PB.
    I have been thinking this is true, as I don't see it mentioned or talked about the way it is in South Beach or Atkins forums. But, because of my OCD and my extreme desire to lose fat I feel compelled to know that I am in ketosis and therefore melting my fat away.

But, isn't using fat for fuel the ultimate goal with PB? Basically it's a ketogenic way of life, right (trying to avoid the word "diet" even though that is what I mean- what is typically eaten). I am really wanting to learn this, not trying to be argumentative or anything.

So after a while on PB lifestyle do we stop producing excess ketones? I guess that would be when we enter the "effortless weight maintenance" phase, when our carbohydrates are balanced. I guess I sort of answered my own questions. Ha ha. But please correct me if I have misinterpreted PB!

Paleobird Guest
    No, it's not that you stop producing them, it's that your body gets better at using them for fuel so there is less being excreted onto the ketostix. Please do not panic at this point and think it has, "stopped working".

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by equineaddict View Post
    But please correct me if I have misinterpreted PB!
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/what...e-fat-adapted/
    A quick note about ketosis:

Fat-adaption does not necessarily mean ketosis. Ketosis is ketosis. Fat-adaption describes the ability to burn both fat directly via beta-oxidation and glucose via glycolysis, while ketosis describes the use of fat-derived ketone bodies by tissues (like parts of the brain) that normally use glucose. A ketogenic diet “tells” your body that no or very little glucose is available in the environment. The result? “Impaired” glucose tolerance and “physiological” insulin resistance, which sound like negatives but are actually necessary to spare what little glucose exists for use in the brain. On the other hand, a well-constructed, lower-carb (but not full-blown ketogenic) Primal way of eating that leads to weight loss generally improves insulin sensitivity.

giliakareo is offline Junior Member
    I just really like seeing that I am in ketosis.

Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    I read that twice and just couldn't get what Mark was trying to say. So I googled primal paleo ketosis and I found this (which did make sense to me.) I just need things really spelled out for me, I guess.
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.Metabolism and ketosis The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast