Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sugar and Alcohol... connected? page

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member

Sugar and Alcohol... connected?

Primal Fuel
    I have noticed that, in my 6 month old Primal life (one of which was a Whole30), as I drop the sugars out of my diet that alcohol tastes really appealing to me. I have never, ever been much of a drinker - I only drank socially, as in the office Christmas party, or my MIL offering a glass of wine with Thanksgiving dinner, or perhaps a best friend's birthday grill party (which would, being honest, end up in a rollicking tipple). I so good as never went/go to bars and only infrequently go out to dinner to any place where I would want to drink with dinner.

But now I could really get into a glass of wine (or three) with dinner each night, or perhaps a mixed drink every evening. It feels kind of like my body has the same sweet tooth, just with an emphasis on the liquor because I won't feed it white sugar or grains any more.

Are the two connected? Has this happened to you in your Primal journey?

(Don't know if these facts matter, but I NEVER drink beer (have had only one bottle in my 45 years, just to try the taste) and there is zero alchoholism in the family (even extended family). I am on/take zero drugs (prescription, OTC, street, or otherwise). Family life is really stable.)

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    sounds like your body likes the carbs *adjusts internet expert glasses*

or else you've become possessed by the spirit of an alcoholic
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a craving. You could try increasing carbs in general, that might mitigate it.

Read this article: Dessert Demons in Disguise | Whole9 | Let us change your life. I think it applies to alcohol as well.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Not sure what is going on but alcohol is not a carbohydrate.
    Alcohol & Carbohydrates: Five Myths
    It is something you should watch though.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    "Rollicking tipple". I love it when people use a colorful phrase like this.

I think that alcohol and sugar are linked. Go to an AA meeting sometime. No alcohol but plenty of coffee and sugar. When my alcoholic ex-husband gave up alcohol and smoking he sat on the bed with a huge pile of cookies and just snarfed them all down in a frenzy. That was his first night's coping tactic. Interesting he didn't snarf down hot dogs or broccoli.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think we sometimes trade one addiction for another. Ask a smoker if they're going to go on a diet and quit smoking at the same time, and you'll almost always get NO for the answer. Why? Because part of smoking is shoving something into your mouth and when it's not cigarettes, it will be something else like food.

So maybe your brain is looking for something that made it feel as good as sugar used to do. Even though distilled spirits aren't carbs, one thing they share with sugar is the hangovery feeling you have the next day. Which is basically a crash from the high.

Anyway, not sure if any of that makes sense.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Calibunny is offline Member
    I notice I can't drink AT ALL anymore, since it just makes me want to eat sugary carbs. When I was a kid, my alcoholic dad would try to stop drinking, and would sit on the sofa, wolfing whole boxes of See's Candy, and smoking. So I believe sugar and alcohol ARE related. It's easier for me to stay Primal if i avoid both.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    "Rollicking tipple". I love it when people use a colorful phrase like this.

I think that alcohol and sugar are linked. Go to an AA meeting sometime. No alcohol but plenty of coffee and sugar. When my alcoholic ex-husband gave up alcohol and smoking he sat on the bed with a huge pile of cookies and just snarfed them all down in a frenzy. That was his first night's coping tactic. Interesting he didn't snarf down hot dogs or broccoli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calibunny View Post
    I notice I can't drink AT ALL anymore, since it just makes me want to eat sugary carbs. When I was a kid, my alcoholic dad would try to stop drinking, and would sit on the sofa, wolfing whole boxes of See's Candy, and smoking. So I believe sugar and alcohol ARE related. It's easier for me to stay Primal if i avoid both.
    Interesting... From the recesses of my brain comes a little memory about recovering alcoholics needing some rigorous supplementation, can't remember what exactly, but that it helped tremendously with that craving for alcohol. I have had a serious depressive episode in my life, and was overjoyed to find that avoiding refined sugars with the Primal helped with mood problems more than I would have ever suspected. I am starting to suspect that I might need to consciously limit my alcohol consumption, just so I don't fall into that trap to satisfy whatever brain chemical thing is still lingering, and your stories give me some direction.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    sounds like your body likes the carbs *adjusts internet expert glasses*

or else you've become possessed by the spirit of an alcoholic
    OMG, I would willingly be possessed by whatever vodun Orishas are floating around New Orleans just to get my hands on another mint julep made locally... You might just be right!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I think we sometimes trade one addiction for another. Ask a smoker if they're going to go on a diet and quit smoking at the same time, and you'll almost always get NO for the answer. Why? Because part of smoking is shoving something into your mouth and when it's not cigarettes, it will be something else like food.

So maybe your brain is looking for something that made it feel as good as sugar used to do. Even though distilled spirits aren't carbs, one thing they share with sugar is the hangovery feeling you have the next day. Which is basically a crash from the high.

Anyway, not sure if any of that makes sense.
    It does to me. To help with the candy bar habit and going Primal and all that, I have some dark chocolate, around 83%, daily. 6 months ago it was a bar a day. Now it is down to around a third or a quarter bar daily on average, because some days i actually forgot it, and then a few days ate a half bar... that kind of thing. If I told you all the sugar nonsense I am totally guilty of in my past, you would faint from sugar shock just standing near me.

I will ruminate on your post - thanks for the advice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast