Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sugar and Alcohol... connected? page 2

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For me? Yes: the two are definitely connected. I'm a binger both ways and interchangeably, but I then eat or drink to excess. So, say, a craving for alcohol can be overcome by eating sugar/carbs and vice versa. Of course, the emphasis here is on vice. Now, if I'm in a happy place I don't crave and I don't binge on either substance: I can eat and drink socially, normally, but as soon as I lose my internal sense of balance the self-destruct button gets pushed.

I cannot quite imagine living dry forever, but I have maintained dry spells of many months.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

The only thing that helps me not crave a huge, carby dinner when I don't drink is lots and lots of glutamine. I take 3G daily.

I've read that those prone to sugar (or booze) are lacking in it, and this time it is really helping me not want a drink as soon as I get home from work (and by drink, I mean 3-4 beers, or a bottle of champagne, or a couple gin martinis). I wonder if it has something to do with glutamine repairing the gut, and/or the brain, who knows. But it helps.

And yeah, my family is littered with functioning alcoholics, and by that I mean people who can quaff a fair amount of booze every single night and do fine the next day (albeit suffer from a thick waistline)

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I just watched Dr. Lustig's video called Sugar the Bitter Truth
    Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube
    and he explains how fructose and ethanol (alcohol) are both mainly metabolized in your LIVER...so perhaps that is the connection?

Start the video at 51 minutes to get to ethanol info!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Interesting... From the recesses of my brain comes a little memory about recovering alcoholics needing some rigorous supplementation, can't remember what exactly, but that it helped tremendously with that craving for alcohol. I have had a serious depressive episode in my life, and was overjoyed to find that avoiding refined sugars with the Primal helped with mood problems more than I would have ever suspected. I am starting to suspect that I might need to consciously limit my alcohol consumption, just so I don't fall into that trap to satisfy whatever brain chemical thing is still lingering, and your stories give me some direction.

Thanks!
    The book "Depression-Free: Naturally" was originally "7 weeks to sobriety" or something like that. It talks about supplementation (especially with amino acids) to overcome addictions (alcohol...and maybe pot?) and recover from depression.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    As a recovering binge eater, I strongly suspect that alcohol & sugar feed similar addiction centers. I don't know what's going on. I do know that when I was in college, I chose not to drink, b/c I had a strong suspicion that I would not be able to control it. Within five years, I was a raging sugar addict with a big time binge problem.

Then a few years ago, I learned that the reason I knew so few relatives on my mother's side ofthe family was b/c so many of them had died in the 50s & 60s of alcoholism.

Also, the person who started Radiant Recovery for sugar addiction actually started by working on alcoholics. She found a much higher success rate treating them with her diet (which, unlike most of its time, didn't shun fat and welcome lots of protein, morning, noon, & night), and she found that it worked for sugar addicts, as well.

So I've often wondered if an alcoholic could use the same tactics I used to beat sugar addiction. I'd be willing to place a large bet that it would work.

The best place in the world to be is a former addict who now has no inordinate cravings for anything. To be someone who can now imagine living forever without XYZ substance and being happy. That's such freedom.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-04-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I just watched Dr. Lustig's video called Sugar the Bitter Truth
    Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube
    and he explains how fructose and ethanol (alcohol) are both mainly metabolized in your LIVER...so perhaps that is the connection?

Start the video at 51 minutes to get to ethanol info!
    Thanks, I will watch!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Being a Professional Drinker most of my life, yes, I have found that sugar and alcohol
    are absolutely connected.

I can't remember what medical document I read once, but IT said the same thing.

Sorry I don't have proof.

Anyway, what I have found, is when I'm enjoying my BOTTLE of wine a night, as I did
    when my mother in law was here for ten days, I couldn't have given two shits about all the
    chocolate and the plethora of cookies I had baked, but two weeks before that I went on
    a cookie and see's candies bender that lasted a good few days.

Anyway, it has just been my own personal experience, since I basically started drinking
    nightly at 18 (I'm 44 now), when there are nightly cocktails I don't want sweets (doesn't
    matter what I'm drinking either, bacardi, vodka, chardonnay).

But when I quit drinking for any length of time (quit for a year and recently for
    6 months), just thinking about the candy aisle at 7-11 would make me turn inside
    out with anxious cravings for cannnnnndy, GLORIOUS CANDY! Resee's p-butter cups
    being my go-to fave.

Now that the MIL has gone back to MN, and the holidays are over, I'm going to have a
    f*ck of a hard time getting off the sauce and NOT reverting back to candy.

I call this period of transition: "Two Weeks of Bitch".

Thank God it only happens twice a year (my MIL also comes out in the summertime for
    10 days and drankin' is what we DO!).

So there you have my own professional opinion and experience.

One leads to the other, or one becomes the other.

Hard to quit both, but it CAN be done.

I've found that adding more starch into my diet, like potatoes (all kinds)
    really, REALLY helps the sugar cravings. REALLY. Totally not kidding.

So maybe Two Weeks of Bitch will turn into One Week of Bitch.

Julie

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Another anecdotal piece of evidence: 15 years ago, I was put on demerol to stop pain from a kidney infection while pregnant. It was a glorious experience. First narcotic I'd ever had. For the next decade, whenever I'd even think the word 'demerol,' I'd get the same giddy gut feeling as if I were thinking about cheesecake. I was a terrible sugar addict all thattime, bingeing at least twice a day.

When I beat back the sugar problem with nutrition, I realized that I stopped feeling giddy when I remembered the demerol, too. It happened overnight, like, 10 years later, I felt just as giddy as the first year after having it, but 11 years later, nothing.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Anyway, what I have found, is when I'm enjoying my BOTTLE of wine a night, as I did
    when my mother in law was here for ten days, I couldn't have given two shits about all the
    chocolate and the plethora of cookies I had baked, but two weeks before that I went on
    a cookie and see's candies bender that lasted a good few days.

Anyway, it has just been my own personal experience, since I basically started drinking
    nightly at 18 (I'm 44 now), when there are nightly cocktails I don't want sweets (doesn't
    matter what I'm drinking either, bacardi, vodka, chardonnay).

But when I quit drinking for any length of time (quit for a year and recently for
    6 months), just thinking about the candy aisle at 7-11 would make me turn inside
    out with anxious cravings for cannnnnndy, GLORIOUS CANDY! Resee's p-butter cups
    being my go-to fave.
    Alright, that makes about five (with badger and hotrodkristina) of you MDA-ers with direct alcohol-sugar experiences. So now I know this isn't some personal fluke.

Julie, I think I like you... I was never the type for just one glass of white wine - if I was going to do it at all, and if it is something to my taste, why leave any in the bottle? Better yet, just head for the bourbon.

Makes me sound like a lush, but I haven't drunk so much since my twenties, back when I was living in Germany. In fact, I just got back from a trip to see the extended family there, whom I haven't seen since my late twenties when I moved back to the US, and literally from the second hour after I landed it was a wine and booze fest - 14 days worth. Well, there was also a wedding in the middle there, so hey. Then I return home to the start of Christmas season, and this is the time of the year when I generally allow myself some experimentation at home with various alcoholic beverages just because I really enjoy discovering new tastes - not just in alcohol, but in herbs and meats and veggies and such, too.

Time to formulate a battle plan...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    with this...

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    When I beat back the sugar problem with nutrition (snipped)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast