Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega 3's question page

Stu
    Stu is offline Member

Omega 3's question

Primal Fuel
    I had a question about Omega 3's. We know how important it is to have the proper ratio of omega 3's -6's. And obviously if we stick to grass fed meat, and free range chickens and cut out vegetable oils we are probaly in pretty good shape. Well I have cut out all vegetable oils, eat the best eggs I can find, but can't afford grass fed meat. I work part-time and getting ready to go back to school for a masters degree, so it is not in the forseeable future to able to afford grass fed. My question is, is there an easy way to measure your ratio to see how you are doing? I know I could take fish oil capsules but I am not a fan of supplements. I feel if you have to supplement you are missing something in your diet, and the best way to do it is trhough your properly balanced primal diet. So anybody have an idea? Or is it a waste of time?

hsvendblad is offline Junior Member
    If you can't afford grass fed then I suggest that you change your mind and "supplement" with Fish Oil. You could buy some Cod Liver Oil so that you don't feel like you are taking a traditional supplement. Just down a tablespoon or two a day. I think you need to realize that if you are going to eat meat that has been "supplemented" with corn then you need to balance that out. No two ways about that...

I buy my meat at the farmers market and I find the price for some cuts, especially purchased in bulk, to be lower than store bought/corn fed. Look for Skirt steak, Flank Steak, Stew Meat, etc.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Okay basically other than fish, there is NO omega 3 in conventional foods. Period. Yes you are missing something in your diet. We are all missing a lot of things in our diets, even those who buy everything 100% organic. Humans evolved in a time when nutrient levels in food were much higher than is possible today and this is especially true with omega 3. You simply won't get it any other way than eating fish, eating grass-fed meat or taking fish oil. So if you aren't willing to do the former two, the latter is the only choice left. Taking supplements isn't shameful, it's necessary if you can't have anything other than grain-fed meat.

You might consider omega eggs fed with flax. However those aren't a replacement because for every .4g omega 3, there will be .7g omega 6. But it's a good thing to consider to balance the ratio.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Okay basically other than fish, there is NO omega 3 in conventional foods. Period. Yes you are missing something in your diet. We are all missing a lot of things in our diets, even those who buy everything 100% organic. Humans evolved in a time when nutrient levels in food were much higher than is possible today and this is especially true with omega 3. You simply won't get it any other way than eating fish, eating grass-fed meat or taking fish oil. So if you aren't willing to do the former two, the latter is the only choice left. Taking supplements isn't shameful, it's necessary if you can't have anything other than grain-fed meat.

You might consider omega eggs fed with flax. However those aren't a replacement because for every .4g omega 3, there will be .7g omega 6. But it's a good thing to consider to balance the ratio.
    +1

Nutrient profiles were so much higher, omega 3s were so much higher, pollutants/chemicals/herbicides/fungicides/ect.. were non existent. Buy an omega supplement. What's to lose? Money? The money spent on omega 3s is preventative medicine that will safe you thousands in the future.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Suki is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    +1

Nutrient profiles were so much higher, omega 3s were so much higher, pollutants/chemicals/herbicides/fungicides/ect.. were non existent. Buy an omega supplement. What's to lose? Money? The money spent on omega 3s is preventative medicine that will safe you thousands in the future.
    Not to mention time spent trying to learn things with decreased mental performance, time off work for sick days, and it makes your skin look pretty

It is also to be noted that WHF didn't distinguish between ALA and EPA and DHA. ALA is sort of useful in counteracting dietary LA and has a small conversion to EPA and DHA, but it's not sufficient for daily requirement or to counteract AA from either animal sources or the LA that does get converted to inflammation-promoting eicosanoids. Not to mention that in plant foods most of the time where there is omega 3 there is a lot of omega 6.

SkinnyMochaJoe is offline Junior Member
    I think every man and his dog needs a fish oil supplement because, first of all, while grok thrived on a ratio of 1:1 n-3:n-6 he had way less inflammation causing stressors to deal with than us so I reckon ours should be higher in favour of n-3 fatty acids. Also even though grass fed beef does have a higher percentage of n-3, over all they are much leaner animals and so you'd have to eat an obscene amount to get enough out of them and finally, even though oily fish is a good, not to mention tasty, source there's always the worry of heavy metal contamination (don't know about you guys but i'd personally take slight inflammation over mercury poisoning any day!) So to get enough you gotta get on the cod liver oil a.k.a liquid gold, and in my experience it's gotta be the liquid as this has a far higher concentration of n-3 nutrients and is less expensive too, the highest I've found had just over 2.5g n-3 in 10ml and only cost me 5!!!

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    Is there any way to measure your own ratio? To measure your progress, granted you'd probaly have to go see a Doc.

You would need some pretty trippy medical testing to tell the ratio in your tissues, but we mostly means dietary ratio which determines tissue ratio but all you have to be concerned with right now is dietary ratio. The way to find that out is annoying at first and involves tracking what you eat on fitday or nutritionfacts and learning which foods have which fatty acids, then doing the math.

I could do it without those. I only have so much space in my head and I've gone and filled it with nutrition profiles of different foods! *sulk*

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Cron-o-Meter is what i enter food in when i need to and it calculates O 3:6 ratio

i take krill oil everyday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast