Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How can a vegetarian follow the Primal Blue Print? page 4

The Scientist is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Eat meat. Easy
    About time someone contributed something worth reading.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    you could be anything from a weirdo to a 10 year old
    I don't think that The Scientist is a 10 year old.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    That might the fatuous statement I have ever heard. Are you really questioning something if you are forced to refrain from presenting that question to anyone else? You are telling me to shut and be be respectful. My entire point is that religion does not deserve respect. I really was not trying to insult the original poster. I don't know anything about them. I was simply pointing out (in my first post), that letting go of rules imposed by religion should be considered as an option. I know that religion is essentially forced on people by culture and parental influence, so I don't fault individuals for believing it. I just hope they stop.
    Key word: "CONSIDERED".

You just asked a question and people are jumping down your throat. WOW!

Because forcing religion on people are just sooooooooooooooooooo much better. But questioning? So very wrong.

Not assuming the OP was forced or anything but it's very common that people are forced to believe what they don't want to believe.

Thanks for your posts.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna View Post
    Hello Everyone

Need your help on this. I have been following MDA for the past 12 months. The following has been nagging me all along.

I am a vegetarian (Hindu, from India). No meat/sea food/eggs. Due to family reasons don't see this changing (maybe would be able to introduce eggs). My diet is heavily focussed on carbs (Rice, vegetables, legumes, dairy etc..)

Any suggestions or support on how I can sustain a primal blue print?

Let me know if you need any additional information to help you with your response.

Regards
    I remember once reading a blog from a guy in India who was doing Paleo Indian-style. He basically looked into what his great-grandparents ate. He would often say to avoid the sweet lassi drinks, avoid wheat-based things like naan and roti, avoid vegetable oils and avoid modern Western-influenced foods. Use lots of ghee. I think he was a fairly strict vegetarian but not what you guys call "pure vegetarian".
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

dallytante is offline Member
    I'm Indian and vegetarian and religious. Primal is as others have said, whole foods. I would not fret about a lack of protein, since between milk, panner, yoghurt and cottage cheese, there is plenty. Replace vegetable oil in curries with coconut oil. You could make pakora using coconut or almond flour, if you're concerned about chickpea flour. Payasam with coconut milk, tapioca, cashew, lentil, cardamom and raisins is delish. If you're worried about carbs, stick to veggie curries.
    For some reason, people feel the need to attack other's eating habits when they are based on religious or ethical principles. Too bad they're insecure.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dallytante View Post
    I'm Indian and vegetarian and religious. Primal is as others have said, whole foods. I would not fret about a lack of protein, since between milk, panner, yoghurt and cottage cheese, there is plenty. Replace vegetable oil in curries with coconut oil. You could make pakora using coconut or almond flour, if you're concerned about chickpea flour. Payasam with coconut milk, tapioca, cashew, lentil, cardamom and raisins is delish. If you're worried about carbs, stick to veggie curries.
    For some reason, people feel the need to attack other's eating habits when they are based on religious or ethical principles. Too bad they're insecure.
    +1
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

krishna is offline Junior Member
    Hello everyone

Some additional clarifications.

I am a male. 45 years old, 5 9 height and 150 lbs weight.

Did not mean to bring religion into this. Not all Hindus are vegetarians. Some are. Me being a vegetarian is the way I was brought up and do not see myself changing from that. No ethical, moral and religious sentiments in play here!!!

I am fairly active from a fitness standpoint. I run 3 marathons in a year. My fitness routines predominantly focus on strength and speed. Recently I am trying out strong lifts 5*5 program.

I supplement every day with 1-2 scoops of whey protein depending on whether I workout or not. Also one multi vitamin tablet and 2 fish oil tablets.

Overall concerned about the fact that Indian diets have too much simple carbs in them (rice, roti, naan etc...) and trying to be more balanced with respect to my nutrition.

krishna is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! So what is the concern about chick pea flour?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! So what is the concern about chick pea flour?
    Chickpeas are a legume and not really recommended on a primal diet. It is probably ok in SMALL doses, but it's not optimal to make legumes the focal point of a primal-basd diet.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Just go away. "The question" does not need to be put out there. If you can't add anything constructive, just ignore and move on to the next thread.

You SERIOUSLY think someone's going to read your little rant and say: "Ta da! I've decided to stop being traditional Hindu!" Of course not. Which is what makes you a jackass.
    True.

It might also be noted that Hinduism itself goes far beyond religion. Like being Hebrew, it is part race, part culture. . . religion is only one aspect of that. It's the same as saying "Decide to no longer be American" or "CHoose not to be Black." (And "Hindu" is as diverse as the term "American" or "Black" before anyone gets knickers in a twist).

There are Hindus who are Hindu but still wholly secular (non-religious) and/or atheist (meaning their do not believe in god as opposed to simply not having a religion). Yet, they are still Hindu by dint of their race and culture.

It might also be noted that Hinduism (as we understand it as a religion) is also hugely diverse. Nepalese peope, something like 80% or more are Hindu, do eat a variety of meats. Likewise, there are areas in India where Hindu people are allowed fish and milk, but not eggs, and others where they can have no eggs, milk, or fish (though these are largely Jains, which is a religion that some Hindus -- of the race, not the common understanding of the religion -- practice). Etc etc.

So, before a person opens their trap about "superstitions" they might need to check out some facts about what Hindu is and to whom it freaking refers.

To the OP:

As others have said, I think it is possible to be lacto-vegetarian and primal. It might be difficult to hit those lower carb, higher fat numbers, but honestly, with that "nectar of the gods" (particularly Gopala Krishna) which is GHEE! That is some good stuff.

So, that should get the fat good and high, and with milk and yogurt, you should be golden. You'll be able to continue with some rice -- it's borderline primal, and for some folks, very primal. I only use beans/lentils when they are in sauces, but there are so many great Indian gravies that don't use them, that you should be ok. Otherwise, you know to eat a wide-variety of veggies and potatoes are ok, too.

Most of your traditional dishes should transition just dandy, palak paneer is one of my favorites, personally. I make it with spinach and kale (deveined) or cavolo nero (a kind of kale that I worship). I use raw milk (from our cow share) to make the paneer. I don't eat a lot of dairy, but my son got on a cheese kick, and then I made him "green dipping sauce" for it (palak paneer!), and he LOVES it and so do all of his friends. It's just *fabulous*.

And then lassis? Holy moley is that stuff good? I do believe you can do very well on an indian "primal" diet.

Now I'm getting hungry!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast