Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: How can a vegetarian follow the Primal Blue Print? page 3

  1. #21
    peril's Avatar
    peril is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    2,678
    Shop Now
    The only way to be close to primal as a vegetarian is to consume substantial amounts of legumes and dairy. The legumes, prepared in traditional ways, such as fermented doughs, provide the bulk of the protein while grass-fed dairy is the main source of fat soluble vitamins. Just avoid the toxic oils that seem to have invaded the modern Indian diet
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

  2. #22
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    What about insects? They are high in protein. . .
    I thought about that also, but if your religion discourages you from killing any living creature for food, maybe insects would also be off limits? I hope the OP comes back because I'd love to learn more.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

  3. #23
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,840
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    Supersition: Noun. A widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief.

    How does that not fit?
    Because it assumes that EVERYTHING about the religion in question is unjustified. How would you feel if some suddenly came up to you and called your deepest held beliefs suddenly "unjustified?"

    Religion goes beyond logic, it penetrates into the psyche, and you need to learn that perhaps openly insulting what is likely the ENTIRE foundation of someone's belief system and indeed perhaps even life, might not exactly be acceptable. In this case, you've essentially questioned the entire worth of someone's life.

    Just because you can't see the logic behind someone's deeply held beliefs no reason to bash it.

  4. #24
    tim_1522's Avatar
    tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO area
    Posts
    500
    Checking the MDA archives: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-...-restrictions/

    While not the main thrust of the article, scroll down about halfway through ituntil you get to the "I’m a vegetarian for ethical reasons. Is it possible to go Primal and not eat meat?" question and read from that point on. Not *every* recommendation is a perfect fit (for example he pushes seafood which doesn't work here) , but the general advice seems solid. A couple of high points, IMO:

    A quality whey protein may also help with protein needs.
    I would also look into eating insects...They’re also extremely eco-friendly, sporting the largest biomass of all terrestrial animals. Most hunter-gatherer societies with steady access to bugs utilize them as a useful source of calories. Why not us?
    All that said, you can certainly be a far healthier vegan by implementing many Primal principles – grain, sugar, and vegetable oil avoidance, to name the main ones.
    Quinoa is another high-protein pseudo-grain type thing worth considering. Though it contains saponins, which may have antinutrient qualities, they don’t appear to be on the same level as something like gluten. Whichever you eat, bone up on your traditional legume and grain preparation; if you’re gonna do it, do it right.
    There's also an external link in the article which claims to be someone who is both Paleo and vegetarian.

    Another MDA article, although pretty short is here: Dear Mark: Vegetarian Protein Possibilities | Mark's Daily Apple

  5. #25
    The Scientist's Avatar
    The Scientist is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Because it assumes that EVERYTHING about the religion in question is unjustified. How would you feel if some suddenly came up to you and called your deepest held beliefs suddenly "unjustified?"


    Religion goes beyond logic, it penetrates into the psyche, and you need to learn that perhaps openly insulting what is likely the ENTIRE foundation of someone's belief system and indeed perhaps even life, might not exactly be acceptable. In this case, you've essentially questioned the entire worth of someone's life.

    Just because you can't see the logic behind someone's deeply held beliefs no reason to bash it.
    I really was ready to drop this. However, ....

    1. There is no logic behind "deeply held beliefs". That is why they are called beliefs. If there was logic or evidence we would call them facts.

    2. I don't have deeply held beliefs. I evaluate claims based on available evidence. For religious claims, there is no evidence, so it is unreasonable to "believe" any of it. Not only is there no evidence, many of the claims can't even be tested. They are so bad, they are not even wrong. I consider it the obligation of any humane person to openly insult religion. These superstitions have been causing pain and suffering to millions of people for thousands of years, and we are far enough along as a society that it needs to stop.

    Without religious warrant, would we tolerate catholics marching through AIDS-riden Africa telling the poor and uneducated that using condoms will get them sent to hell? Would we tolerate Muslims burning down embassies and opposing free speech? Would we tolerate protestants trying to force the teaching of creationist nonsense on innocent children?


    3. It makes be terribly sad that religion could be the foundation of someone's life. There is a wonderful world out there of deciding things for yourself, and not basing your life on bogus divine doctrine. If I can change one person's mind about this, then being a jackass about it will be worth it. I have already helped several people let go of religion, and I hope to help many more.

  6. #26
    The Scientist's Avatar
    The Scientist is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    In this case, you've essentially questioned the entire worth of someone's life.
    You are damn right I questioned it. I know the religious love imposing question-asking bans, but I love the ability to question anything.

  7. #27
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,840
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    You are damn right I questioned it. I know the religious love imposing question-asking bans, but I love the ability to question anything.
    You have the right to question it. But at least have the class to keep those questions to yourself. I'm not a fan of religion either, but I'm not going to berate someone's entire existence just because I disagree with them on something.

  8. #28
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    6,960
    The odds of convincing someone from a different culture, online no less, where you could be anything from a weirdo to a 10 year old, to change their belief system has got to be pretty close to zero.

    I've been an atheist since 1988 and I have the same response of disgust to atheists who push their agenda as I do to anyone preaching religion.

    To the OP, I hope you won't judge the whole community based on one person who feels the need to "save" you. Most of us have tried to be of some assistance. Peace.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

  9. #29
    The Scientist's Avatar
    The Scientist is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You have the right to question it. But at least have the class to keep those questions to yourself.
    That might the fatuous statement I have ever heard. Are you really questioning something if you are forced to refrain from presenting that question to anyone else? You are telling me to shut and be be respectful. My entire point is that religion does not deserve respect. I really was not trying to insult the original poster. I don't know anything about them. I was simply pointing out (in my first post), that letting go of rules imposed by religion should be considered as an option. I know that religion is essentially forced on people by culture and parental influence, so I don't fault individuals for believing it. I just hope they stop.

  10. #30
    Louisa655's Avatar
    Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    795
    Eat meat. Easy
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

    Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •