Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How can a vegetarian follow the Primal Blue Print? page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sounds like you are a lacto-vegetarian.

It all comes down to your ability to get quality protein and fats. Which I don't think would be too hard, as long as you are getting lots of butter/cream/milk/yoghurt.

Traditional indian foods are awesome and tasty ways to eat these.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

cherylg28 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    Perhaps the better question to ask is: "If the dietary restrictions that my superstitions impose on me are preventing me from being as healthy as possible, is it time to ignore the superstitions and do what is best for myself"?
    I don't think there's any reason to denigrate someone's religion. The OP is asking for nutritional help here, not a religious debate.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps the better question to ask is: "If the dietary restrictions that my superstitions impose on me are preventing me from being as healthy as possible, is it time to ignore the superstitions and do what is best for myself"?
    It's uncalled for to call someone's religion "superstitions." Extremely rude.

FYI: Fage Greek yogurt contains 23g of protein per serving.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

The Scientist is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylg28 View Post
    I don't think there's any reason to denigrate someone's religion. The OP is asking for nutritional help here, not a religious debate.
    I'll use an extreme example (same principle, though) to illustrate how silly your statement is. What if a 14-year old girl from a hard line Muslim family came to you and said "I have to be married to this middle aged psychopathic rapist because my family insisted on it, and my religion says I can't divorce him. Do you have any ideas for how to not die from the trauma without breaking my religious beliefs?"

Would you be polite and suggest some aspirin?

People are way to polite about religion. If she was avoiding healthy foods for political reasons, nobody would hesitate to confront it, but religion gets a free pass because it requires "faith". What an entirely overrated concept.

I wasn't trying to debate religion, just raising an important question that needed to be put out there.
    Last edited by The Scientist; 01-03-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    It's uncalled for to call someone's religion "superstitions." Extremely rude.
    Supersition: Noun. A widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief.

How does that not fit?

cherylg28 is offline Junior Member
    I'll use an extreme example (same principle, though)…
    Your point is well taken, and I am no fan of religion in general. But unlike your example, vegetarianism is not doing anybody harm, and no one is likely to "dye" (sic) from it. I just didn't want to see this thread go off the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylg28 View Post
    Your point is well taken, and I am no fan of religion in general. But unlike your example, vegetarianism is not doing anybody harm, and no one is likely to "dye" (sic) from it. I just didn't want to see this thread go off the rails.
    I agree. It is just that I have met people who have never considered the possibility that they could abandon religious practices if they don't make sense. I am happy to let it rest now.

I'll use an extreme example (same principle, though) to illustrate how silly your statement is...

Just go away. "The question" does not need to be put out there. If you can't add anything constructive, just ignore and move on to the next thread.

You SERIOUSLY think someone's going to read your little rant and say: "Ta da! I've decided to stop being traditional Hindu!" Of course not. Which is what makes you a jackass.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    FYI: Fage Greek yogurt contains 23g of protein per serving.
    Dairy is probably going to be your best bet for protein - yogurt, paneer, milk. And other sources as previously indicated. But I'd still strongly suggest B-12 and K-2 supplementation.

Huntress is offline Junior Member
    Perhaps you could consider why your religion forbids certain foods and decide for yourself whether some of it is man made custom as opposed to having a spiritual purpose in line with your religion? Will eating certain foods actually hinder your soul, or is it more a cultural custom?

I am not religious myself, but if you are already considering eggs, there may be other foods that won't contradict your religion if you consider the reasoning behind it - something for you to ponder, maybe?

What about insects? They are high in protein. . .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast