Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Peaceful Co-Existence With Vegetarians Even Possible? page 2

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    My rant aside, is peaceful co-existence with vegetarians, and CWankers possible, or even desirable?
    Of course, but they best stay away from the bacon!
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    My rant aside, is peaceful co-existence with vegetarians, and CWankers possible, or even desirable?
    yes, if we all lived in the magical land where hearts, flowers, and unicorns ran freely...

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoB View Post
    Been reading Ishmael, or is this from something a bit more scientific?
    No, nothing more scientific, in fact I wonder where I got this notion from. I did read Ishmael about 200 years back or so, so maybe that's where the idea lodged in my brain. And hence my reservations about endorsing it as factual. (I also like the "hallow earth theory" but I don't believe it.)

Kind of generally in response to everyone else, mostly I was just blowing off steam here.

I am far far far from a perfect human, or roommate, I acknowledge this. There are various aspects about our living arrangments that work well for the 3 of us. And as I said finding a new spot in NYC ain't no stroll through a heart, and rainbow, and unicorn infested park.

Still I can fantasize about having a spot to myself where I can grill up huge slabs of meat, and own a freezer chest. (Lots of stuff about NYC is awesome, it's the only town I ever returned to after I left. Finding an aprtment, and paying the rents here are not awesome.)

NicoB is offline Senior Member
    I liked Ishmael, but who knows how accurate it really is.

You could always do my idea... Primal Nomad...

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    yes, if we all lived in the magical land where hearts, flowers, and unicorns ran freely...
    *visions of Darth Friendly persistance hunting a unicorn and finishing the job with his shiny new sledgehammer*

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    NMG:
    "Visions of Darth Friendly.." *ripping the hearts out of the sky to eat raw*

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    You are not planning to do the sledge hammer workout in the apartment are you? Because that would set most people off.

Geoff is offline Member
    What SS said.

Admittedly I don't know all the details of your situation, but it seems the conflict as you describe it might not be entirely dietary. Not to cast stones, but I do have a somewhat different take on your predicament.

The roommate on the lease is the one legally and financially liable to the landlord if the apartment should be damaged. So he's probably concerned about the destructive potential of a heavy construction tool in the space. Not that you'd go "Gallagher" on the walls but accidents do happen or maybe one of his drunk friends would do something stupid with it when you're not around. Did you show him the Shovelglove workout? Maybe if he has an idea of what you're planning - and you commit to keeping the sledgehammer wrapped up and out of the way (in a closet or under the bed) when not in use he might get over it.

Also (and I don't mean this critically) was anyone else awake in the apartment when you finished your stock making and cleaning at 3:30 AM? Were they only awake because of your cooking? Yes, you're paying rent and have a right to use the space, but 3:30 AM might be keeping them up.

Is there a way you could have a constructive sit down meeting with your roommates to discuss the situation? If they're really dissing your Primal life choices out of spite then moving out is probably the only option, but perhaps you could talk it out beforehand and see if there's a way each of you could adjust your respective behaviors to keep the peace.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Geoff said it well. Living together takes negotiation and patience. I think I'd be pretty annoyed with anyone cooking at 3am! Sleep (as you should know being primal ) ) is sacrosanct.

When I was a vegetarian, it was something I cared about very deeply - it was an emotional choice, not intellectual. One of my college room-mates regularly hacked apart chickens for cooking and I found it unbearable, I had to leave the room.

Focus on the things you have in common: you all want good health, though your approaches are different. You might even share concerns about animal welfare (most primal folks agree that humanely raised animals have optimum nutrition) and identify any problem areas you need to work on to live together more harmoniously. Accept that you may need to make some changes; at times like this, it's important to approach each other in a conciliatory, rather than confrontational manner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12