Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar and Overeating page

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member

Sugar and Overeating

Primal Fuel
    I know this has been discussed but at least another study shows what I have always thought.

Brain image study: Fructose may spur overeating | Yahoo! Health

"This is your brain on sugar for real. Scientists have used imaging tests to show for the first time that fructose, a sugar that saturates the American diet, can trigger brain changes that may lead to overeating. After drinking a fructose beverage, the brain doesn't register the feeling of being full as it does when simple glucose is consumed, researchers found.

It's a small study and does not prove that fructose or its relative, high-fructose corn syrup, can cause obesity, but experts say it adds evidence they may play a role. These sugars often are added to processed foods and beverages, and consumption has risen dramatically since the 1970s along with obesity. A third of U.S. children and teens and more than two-thirds of adults are obese or overweight."

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Oh, b.s. Sugar and fruit do not cause overeating.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It's a trigger for some people with broken satiety cues.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

SJW2 is offline Member
    beat me to it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    All sugars are not created equal. Not all fruits have the same ratios of fructose:glucose. Not all people react the same to any nutrient.

For people still eating SAD and not reading labels, however, I would bet that they are getting too many sugars/fructose even if they don't know it. Almost every major brand of bread, crackers, tomato sauce, non-dairy creamer, and cereal has some HFCS in it. I specifically left out soda and dessert foods because I figure even SAD eaters have to know they contain unnecessary sugars.

Since the 70s, HFCS has become ubiquitous in prepared foods and coincidentally (though perhaps not conclusive) the American population has gotten fat. Other factors of course, but eating and perceived-hunger are a huge part of the obesity problem and I can't discount added sugars as a part of the problem.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that there's a big difference between fructose taken in the form of fruit vs fruit juice.

Don't drink your calories.

Edit: Having read that article I think it's rubbish. It has so many different things to say and they aren't part of the same coherent arguement.

If you want ammunition to have a go at fructose, watch Sugar: the bitter truth instead.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 01-02-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    For me personally, I find that fructose DOES make me binge. I have no control. It's funny because I am WAY less likely to do this with starchy carbs.

And even of it DOESN'T make you binge, there are enough proven harmful effects of a high sugar load from fructose that I'm (just my personal opinion) still going to limit my intake. I'm not against fruit, but I'm not adopting the Ray Peat protocol or going to become a fruitatarian anytime soon.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    For me personally, I find that fructose DOES make me binge. I have no control. It's funny because I am WAY less likely to do this with starchy carbs.
    Like bananas?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Like bananas?
    If we're talking starchy, I was thinking more like potatoes and sweet potatoes ect.

I still tend to eat a little more of them than I do relative to fats and proteins, but the effect is NOTHING compared to what fructose does to me. And don't ask me to explain it. I can't. I have no frikin' CLUE what the cause is, or if there is any science behind it all or what have you.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Science deals in averages and trends.

You only have to deal with your body (and those of your kiddoes, if you have them).

Food scientists have known for years that added sugars cause increased compulsion to eat more. There's a reason commercial foods almost always have added sugars. The right mix of fat with those sugars is even better for food companies' bottom lines.

I do think most people struggle with sugar addiction to a certain extent. All of the fruititarians and high sugar "healthy" folks I know are thin but also have no muscle, are always sick, have chafing skin, stringy hair, depressed, etc. The low sugar non-sugar addicted folks I know tend to be the people I want around during the zombie apocalypse. Is this scientific? No. Neither group has enough people to track decently sized trends.

But I've done both and I know which diet makes me feel like a zombie and which one makes me feel able to fight zombies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast