Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sugar and Overeating page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    Food scientists have known for years that added sugars cause increased compulsion to eat more. There's a reason commercial foods almost always have added sugars. The right mix of fat with those sugars is even better for food companies' bottom lines.
    Adding of salt seem to have the same effect for many people that will start binging when eating potato chips etc...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 01-02-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Adding of salt seem to have the same effect for many people that will start binging when eating potato chips etc...
    Yep. Although even most potato chip, corn chip, pita chip, ect. brands also have a little bit of added sugars as well.

I know if I treat myself to a Mexican Coke (made with real sugar instead of HFCS) I feel satisfied after I finish it. If I drink a HFCS Coke then I will crave another one. However, I don't crave fruit or other starchy carbs. I believe that there is something about HFCS that is inherently evil. Looking at the obesity/HFCS trends, there is no doubt that people have been getting fatter and fatter since they introduced HFCS in the '70s-80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Wayne View Post
    I know if I treat myself to a Mexican Coke (made with real sugar instead of HFCS) I feel satisfied after I finish it. If I drink a HFCS Coke then I will crave another one. However, I don't crave fruit or other starchy carbs. I believe that there is something about HFCS that is inherently evil. Looking at the obesity/HFCS trends, there is no doubt that people have been getting fatter and fatter since they introduced HFCS in the '70s-80s.
    Mexican coke is sucrose which still has a bit of fructose. Only slightly less than HFCS actually... HFCS is roughly 55% fructose and 45% glucose. Sucrose is 50-50. This was originally seen as good because fructose has a lower glycemic impact and thus HFCS had less of an insulin spike tagged on. But now we know about the hidden dangers of fructose...

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    That was his point. He's saying that the extra 22% fructose does make it worse compared to sucrose.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    That was his point. He's saying that the extra 22% fructose does make it worse compared to sucrose.
    Agreed. But the difference in fructose is small enough that even a "Mexican" Coke would likely trigger a reaction for me.

It's not like a massive fructose reduction that just magically changes the effect it will have on me. That's just my two cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12