Thread: Hello all! I'm totally new to Primal living! (on day 5) page

Talking Hello all! I'm totally new to Primal living! (on day 5)

Shop Now
    Hi, my name is Molly and I am 40, happily married for 16 years, and mother of 2 sons (currently 8 & 6). As you can see from my MDA name, I love horses. I have 3, and last summer started riding competitively again after an 8 year hiatus. Dressage is my drug of choice.

Why am I at MDA? I want to lose weight. I gained weight in college, lost weight on weight watchers for my wedding. Maintained a healthy weight for 8 years, had my first child (gained 60 pounds, lost it easily). Next, had my second child. Again gained 60 pounds, and as of today I am still 20 pounds over my healthy weight. I am borderline overweight on BMI charts- not horrible. But. Not good either.

So last Jan/Feb 2012, I lost 10 pounds on South Beach (easily) and went on a dream vacation with my sister to Mexico. This is when I fell in love with low carb diets. I have slowly gained back the weight over the past year, so I am back at where I was before I lost those 10 pounds. I started up the South Beach again this past Saturday (Dec 28), and on Dec 29 I found MDA.

I've been reading success stories pretty regularly since then! So I have been switching over to Primal eating- it is definitely more satisfying than South Beach (focuses on low fat, lean protein - I've never been a fan of low fat stuff).

I am excited to be here and get to know the community. I've loved how positive the community seems. I can't wait to meet you all!

And now for the meet & greet questions:

Your location: Dryden, NY (central NY- farm country! but near Ithaca (Cornell University, Ithaca College)

How Primal are you:
    Very! And newly!

Do you consume dairy: Yes- hard cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, sour cream- that's it

Do you drink coffee or tea:
    COFFEE and don't even TRY to take it away

Motivator for switching to Primal:
    So I can look like some of those hot success stories! Also, to have the fitness to amp up my activity and energy. But mainly I want to look and feel HOT.

Favorite exercise: Riding horses (duh), but I also enjoy circuit training.

Favorite Primal food: bacon wrapped filet YUM

Best part about being Primal: the increased energy (so far that's all I've got, this is only my 5th day)

Worst part about being Primal: I have to do a lot more planning and cooking. Usually my husband does it all, but he is a total sugar fiend (sickeningly thin), so that is not an option anymore.

PrimalPotter is offline Senior Member
    Hi! Welcome. This is the place for healthy eating.

Thanks for the welcome. And interesting avatar... story???

bamabelle is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I am new and on day 5 or 6 myself. Fun to have others to be on this journey with!

PrimalPotter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by equineaddict View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. And interesting avatar... story???
    One of my sculptures. It's a mandrill.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Enjoy your new healthy lifestyle.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Stick to the book and don't take this forum too seriously. I'll tell you to live largely on tallow and derpamix will tell you to live on sugar - ignore us and try basic Primal with minor tweaks for the first few months. Depending on how SAD your eating was before, your body will be enduring all sorts of enzymatic up-regulation and down-regulation. Take it slow, and don't be surprised to lose weight, gain a little, and lose more.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalPotter View Post
    One of my sculptures. It's a mandrill.
    Your own sculpture! That is really cool. I love how you captured the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Enjoy your new healthy lifestyle.
    Thank you Dirlot!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Welcome! Stick to the book and don't take this forum too seriously. I'll tell you to live largely on tallow and derpamix will tell you to live on sugar - ignore us and try basic Primal with minor tweaks for the first few months. Depending on how SAD your eating was before, your body will be enduring all sorts of enzymatic up-regulation and down-regulation. Take it slow, and don't be surprised to lose weight, gain a little, and lose more.
    Thanks for the words of wisdom Knifegill. I will do that- I actually still have to learn a bit more about eating primal but for now it is by my judgement, is this something I could have hunted/gathered? Except for the dairy stuff. But my tribe would have had horses.

Quote Originally Posted by bamabelle View Post
    Welcome! I am new and on day 5 or 6 myself. Fun to have others to be on this journey with!
    Sorry Bamabelle- just realized I didn't reply to you earlier. It is fun to be on this journey with others!
    I hope it is going well for you. I am still in the early learning stage- learning as I go- and am obsessed with my ketostix (this is a habit from doing other LC diets).