Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee causing Head Fog? page

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member

Coffee causing Head Fog?

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed that I get a head fogginess and sleepy feeling after I drink coffee. Weird, as it's caffeine...

I drink about 4 cups a day (at the most), slow drinking/sipping on it. I drink one full cup in the morning though, the rest is sipping, but why is it causing this head stuff?

Anyone else experience this with coffee? I drink it b/c it's warm and tastes good, not necessarily to wake me up or anything, I've never noticed a caffeine affect from coffee.

Just curious..
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    What kind of coffee do you drink? Do you add anything to it?

Folgers, but I've gotten it with other brands as well.

Sometimes it's bulletproof coffee, sometimes it's coconut milk and stevia, sometimes it's coconut oil and stevia, right now it's heavy cream and stevia.

I've gotten this before I went paleo too, when I used granulated sugar.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Have you read Dave from bulletproof execs thoughts coffee quality? Have you gone a few days without coffee to see how you feel?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Folgers is not coffee. I feel yucky when I drink folgers. But a nice whole bean organic brand freshly ground goes over fine. Probably the aflotoxins.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I've been reading lately that artificial sweeteners- including stevia (which is what I use) - confuse the body with their sweet taste and still cause your body to release insulin. If that is happening, the insulin may be robbing your body of blood sugar causing you to crash. I'm on the fence about that, because I've read competing studies (other studies say stevia has no effect on insulin and that it even helps you lose weight, so go figure...). I use stevia in my coffee and it doesn't cause me to crash the way I did when I used sugar in my coffee. Then again, it may be the caffeine itself. I've seen several people here that said after they went primal they no longer felt good after consuming caffeine.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

kot
    kot is offline Member
    I have had similar over stimulation cofee experience when I first wet primal. Now I make my coffee on the weakest setting. I've been considering trying Yerba mate tea or green tea instead. But I've become accustom to the whoosh effect on the bowels, which seems to clear most of the brain fog…

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I've never had the head fog, but I do have a friend who, when his son was diagnosed with ADD didn't want him to take ritalin (sp?) and gave him coffee instead. He swore it calmed the boy down. So, maybe you have an upside down reaction to coffee also?

And, not to be harsh, but most of the coffees in grocery stores are not that great. If you have a Costco card, you can find organic coffee in the warehouses reasonably priced. Also, if you live in an area where drinking higher end coffee isn't a thing, you might actually get fresher beans ordering online. Amazon has a bunch of organic coffees.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

My headache has just now subsided, finally....

Folgers... yea, it's chemicals in a can LOL! I'm going to forgo the coffee and stevia for a few days.

I'll see if stevia has an effect on me by eating it with strawberries. I've been reading lately that stevia might not be all that good for you.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kot View Post
    I've become accustom to the whoosh effect on the bowels, which seems to clear most of the brain fog…
    I stopped drinking coffee 3 weeks ago, and now drink herbal tea (caffeine free) just to have something warm to drink.
    I still get a woosh in the morning. Not as intense as coffee, but pretty close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast