Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Krill oil supplement recommendations + is it better than cod liver oil.? page 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Neck, Peat recommends daily shellfish as well as grassfed beef and 1-2 eggs a day. That would be plenty of omega-3s. He mainly supports keeping all Pufa at a bare minimum which would eliminate the need for supplementation. Fish oil is notorious for rancidity, it very easily oxidizes and most certainly will inside the body. That said, fermented cod liver oil from green pastures is probably a safe bet due to fermentation and antioxidents. Its also got a butt load of vitamins so if anyone was to supplement omega-3s, they should use that.

Bottom line, if people avoid most sources of concentrated omega 6, and eat a healthy amount of seafood, there is no need for supplementation.
    Can't really argue with any of that. Sounds good to me. I suppose I thought his stance meant that he would limit O3 even from things like sardines or salmon.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Can't really argue with any of that. Sounds good to me. I suppose I thought his stance meant that he would limit O3 even from things like sardines or salmon.
    I believe he doesnt like fatty fish but i dont remember why. Honestly Peat is pretty black and white with recommendations so you have to decide for yourself how far you want to take his advice. Personally i think that since humans have evolved next to bodies of water, we obviously ate plenty of fish and seafood. The only reason i would avoid it now is if its farmed or a bigger fish that collects lots of mercury. If its wild caught, theres no way it is unhealthy.

ToldUzo is online now Senior Member
    Krill oil contains Astaxanthin which is an antioxidant that apparently protects the oil from going rancid (whether it still goes rancid inside the body I don't know).... It is found in many red coloured fish (salmon), lobsters and shrimps (you see it when they turn red when boiled).
    Astaxanthin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did eat a package of krill oil pills last summer because I read the astaxanthin in it help protect the body from getting a sunburn. But from now on I think I will just eat shrimps since I'm not a whale. I don't want to supplement with too many things but rather eat a variety of healthy foods
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123