Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Krill oil supplement recommendations + is it better than cod liver oil.? page 2

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Dude, I read that if you eat white sugar it will make your teeth stronger and your metabolism will blow the shit up and you will grow hair like a freakin' MINK. Danny Stonepeat said so.
    i'm STILL waiting for zach to advise me on how much sugar to eat since excess carbs of any sort make my pcos rage out of control

OP i've taken krill oil, i've taken cod liver oil out of a brown glass bottle. i would buy the fermented oils but the prices i saw make me shit a kitten

..which is uncomfortable. tiny claws, and all

and i never really noticed a difference out of anything i've taken. i sporadically eat fish so i've decided to go back to cod liver oil for the A
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Just found this The Great Fish Oil Experiment article. It has me seriously thinking about stopping taking any form of fish oil supplement and just sticking to the real thing like a nice piece of salmon.

Ghjjf is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleodutch View Post
    Just found this The Great Fish Oil Experiment article. It has me seriously thinking about stopping taking any form of fish oil supplement and just sticking to the real thing like a nice piece of salmon.
    Got a two line summary of the article?

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    summary:

Supplementing with omega3 is mostly researched by, an promoted by, the makers of the supplements (like HFCS/corn/sugar...).
    When animals are fed fish oil and then exposed to bacteria, their immunosuppressed thymic (T) cells cause them to succumb to the infection more easily than animals fed coconut oil or a fat free diet. Natural killer cells, which eliminate cancer cells and virus infected cells, are decreased after eating fish oil, and T suppressor cells are often increased.

Bit more from first part:
    During the recent years in which the U.S. government has gone from warning against the consumption of too much of these omega-3 oils ("to assure that the combined daily intake of two fatty acids that are components" "(i.e., eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)) would not exceed 3 grams per person per day (g/p/d)") to sponsoring biased industry claims, there has been considerable accumulation of information about the dangers of fish oils and omega-3 fatty acids. But there has been an even greater increase in the industry's promotional activities.

In declaring EPA and DHA to be safe, the FDA neglected to evaluate their antithyroid, immunosuppressive, lipid peroxidative (Song et al., 2000), light sensitizing, and antimitochondrial effects, their depression of glucose oxidation (Delarue et al., 2003), and their contribution to metastatic cancer (Klieveri, et al., 2000), lipofuscinosis and liver damage, among other problems.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    The bottom line would be reduce your O6 load so that you don't have to take large doses of O3 to balance it. Like a lot of things just cause some of it is good doesn't mean "more is better". FCLO isn't a freakishly high dose of O3, but it does have some and contain A, D along with K if you get the royal blend. So I'd say its great for your fat soluble vitamins.

Since the ray peat article has hit the stage again have an evolutionary view of your brain: There's Something Fishy About Human Brain Evolution

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Paul Watson would say there is no reason for people to eat whale food

drfmd is offline Junior Member
    Some (small) studies have clearly demonstrated Krill Oil as being a superior supplement. It being phospholipid instead of triglyceride improves the human body's ability to absorb it.

Zach is offline Banned
    BloodorChild, im no doctor, i dont even really know what pcos is. From a quick google it looks like you got dealt a bad hand and now you have to make do. Good luck.

Neck, Peat recommends daily shellfish as well as grassfed beef and 1-2 eggs a day. That would be plenty of omega-3s. He mainly supports keeping all Pufa at a bare minimum which would eliminate the need for supplementation. Fish oil is notorious for rancidity, it very easily oxidizes and most certainly will inside the body. That said, fermented cod liver oil from green pastures is probably a safe bet due to fermentation and antioxidents. Its also got a butt load of vitamins so if anyone was to supplement omega-3s, they should use that.

Bottom line, if people avoid most sources of concentrated omega 6, and eat a healthy amount of seafood, there is no need for supplementation.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I saw an offer on Krill oil and took it for nine months. I have not had a cold since and I used to get a lot of them, but, I also started cutting out bread etc nine months ago. Loren Cordain recommends fish oil and vitamin D in the winter. I have now bought a supply of cod liver oil as it is way cheaper than the Krill offering, and, my mother used to spoon it to me as a child so it MUST be good for me......
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Ghjjf is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    BloodorChild, im no doctor, i dont even really know what pcos is. From a quick google it looks like you got dealt a bad hand and now you have to make do. Good luck.

Neck, Peat recommends daily shellfish as well as grassfed beef and 1-2 eggs a day. That would be plenty of omega-3s. He mainly supports keeping all Pufa at a bare minimum which would eliminate the need for supplementation. Fish oil is notorious for rancidity, it very easily oxidizes and most certainly will inside the body. That said, fermented cod liver oil from green pastures is probably a safe bet due to fermentation and antioxidents. Its also got a butt load of vitamins so if anyone was to supplement omega-3s, they should use that.

Bottom line, if people avoid most sources of concentrated omega 6, and eat a healthy amount of seafood, there is no need for supplementation.
    Thanks - was the kind of reply I was looking for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast