Thread: Demetia/Alzheimer's and Saturated Fat page

PaleoSapien is offline Junior Member

Question Demetia/Alzheimer's and Saturated Fat

Hi All! My first post here, other than an intro about a month ago.

A friend just posted a YouTube video to his Facebook page denigrating saturated fats and I took the bait. It's billed as info on how "well established research showing a diet heavy in animal products and bad fats (from junk food) dramatically increase your risk of Alzheimer's."

I've now searched here on MDA for the speaker's name -- Neal Barnard -- and see that he is held in low regard (quack was a word used once or twice). However, I'm curious about the data he presented, which seemed to directly correlate saturated fat consumption with dementia/Alzheimer's.

Here's a link to the video, which is actually a teaser to make you want to buy DVDs.
    Alzheimer's & Diet -- Neal Barnard MD - YouTube
    If anyone is willing to watch and help me refute the data I'd be so grateful.

Namaste from Kathmandu!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    There is also an emerging area of study that links Alzheimer's with carb intake. They've even gone so far as to call it Type three diabetes:
    Type 3 Diabetes
    Alzheimer's Disease May Soon Be Classified as Type 3 Diabetes : Conditions : Medical Daily
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoSapien is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great! I guess I'll eat just protein.
    So I guess your point is that there's research to prove almost everything. We just have to know what research to believe.
    I KNOW that my belly has disappeared since I went paleo and I can believe my personal research. I just wish everyone could agree on this stuff!