Thread: Eating Tips for Endurance Cyclist page

Darin G is offline Junior Member

Eating Tips for Endurance Cyclist

Shop Now
    Hello all,

I'm a newbie to PB. I decided to try PB after 4 months of frustration with Weightwatchers. In the past I've tried the Zone, South Beach and Weightwatchers with varying degrees of success. I usually can do them for about 4 months and then get bored or fatigued with keeping track of the details. With every diet I tend to lose about 20 pounds and then get stuck around 185. I'm once again down to 185 from 207 after Christmas. Hopefully PB can push me through that barrier.

I'm hoping to ride a century in late May, a charity ride in June and maybe a 200 KM brevet in July. I have a decent amount of experience with endurance sports (1 marathon, three half marathons, 1 century, multiple metrics, multi-day mountain bike tours, multi-day backpacking trips). I typically commute 23 miles round trip on my bike 3-4 days per week then put in a 40-60 one of the weekend days.

I did a 50 miler yesterday on a moderately hilly route, which normally I do easily but experienced a soft bonk despite adding a potato to breakfast and eating a Pro-Bar halfway through. I ended up exhausted, with a twinge of nausea and a bad headache. I drank plenty of water. I don't ride hard or race and stay very much within the 55-75 of max HR except when climbing. Looking to hear the voice of experience with respect to eating primal and managing the energy demands of this activity which I very much enjoy.

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    How long ago did you make the transition?

I had a similar issue shortly after I made the change, and still wasnt fully converted yet. After a workout I got really lightheaded and nauseous. I attribute it to still be running quite a bit on carbs, and depleting my carb stores caused that. I had it before I made the change when I would do a heavy workout without eating. Now that I have more adjusted, though granted I have still only been primal for a little over a month, I can do workouts with no difficulty.

I transitioned from WW last week. I struggled with long rides on WW as well. I have no issues with the commute rides. I think the real challenge is the long, long ride and eating correctly before, during and after.

batty is offline Senior Member
    consider throwing in an extra potato the night before, and even the day before that, including the one you have for breakfast. i had a 50 miler a couple of weeks ago, and despite the eleventy billion MPH headwind, i did not bonk. the evening before, i had a sweet potato with dinner, and then another one with my eggs for breakfast.

this is a good read right here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...ance-training/

hope that helps!

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

simplyryde is offline Member
    I have been experimenting with the some issues myself. I think on long rides 2+ hours, most people at going to require food during the ride as well. If you think about it, a cyclist at a moderate pace will burn 600-800 cals/hr. So, on a century that takes 5 hours, you are looking at 3000-4000 cal. The best plan for me is to find a food that is easy to carry on the bike and has a good nutritional ratios. Eat early and often. It is hard to come back after a bonk.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I carry homemade jerky and bananas. Those two and water have carried me through multiple centuries and lesser rides. The main thing is to eat before you're hungry.

I'll try adding in the sweet potatoes a day or two before and make sure I'm fueled. Bananas are a good idea too if you can keep them from turning to goo in your jersey. Hadn't considered jerky but will try it. The salt in it is probably a good idea. Just trying to avoid the gels and blocks if possible.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Make jerky your self and don't put salt in it. Why would you carry bananas in your jersey? I have a under saddle pack that's just big enough to carry bananas, among other things.

batty is offline Senior Member
    you can also dry/dehydrate your fruit so it keeps better:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-make-dried-fruit/

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal