Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Fulfilling Protein Requirements. page

JSD_RN is offline Junior Member

Trouble Fulfilling Protein Requirements.

Primal Fuel
    So I have been Primal now close to a month after a long journey of gradually eliminating those food ingredients I thought were impossible to avoid. What put me over the edge was working so hard at the gym and street running yet never losing that layer of fat that I notice all over and of course the love handles. I plateaued at the gym and was not seeing lean muscle mass being added. Once I dug into the PB I quickly realized that my daily protein requirements were not being met. I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm going to do this. Why?

I'm 42, 6'10", weigh 235ish (down from 280 a few years ago), waist now at 38 from 42. For my size I look well built and proportional and people can't understand "...why such a strict diet?" When I figure 1gm protein/lb...that's a lot of protein. I don't know how to do it. Since going Primal I'm definitely not as hungry as before. Today I tried to force myself to consume more protein (did Lift Heavy Things today). Bkfst: 5 egg omelette with peppers, onions, dairy/grain free cheese (Daiya) ~ 30 gms protein. Lunch: Smoothie with great ingredients and egg white protein ~ 40 gms protein. Dinner: stir fry with al Fresco chkn apple sausage ~ 14 gms of protein. Total: way short of the ~235 gms/day. Don't do well with dairy.

Any ideas? One thing to consider is that 235 lbs with my size is right where I should be...it's the composition that's most important. Thanks so much.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Most people recommend 1 gram per LEAN pound of body weight. Guesstimate you body fat percentage and subtract from your body weight to get close to the real amount of protein you need.

Thank you. I forgot to figure that. I found an online calculator and put in Male, height, wgt. and it kicked back: According to your measurements - weight of 235 pounds and height of 6' 10", your lean body mass is estimated to be 184.52 . Since the ideal body fat percentage for men is 15%, your ideal lean body weight is 188.35 pounds.

...but even still, I'm coming in way short (of protein )

I guy your size who is trying to pack on muscle is just going to have to eat more food than that. Some bacon with that omelette, chicken to go along with that shake and a big ribeye or hamburger with that stir-fry and you will be right there.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I don't eat 'enough' either... and I've stopped worrying about it.

I just don't feel like I've got room for it.
    I eat until I'm full... I'm not forcing myself to eat food I don't want just to be 'correct'.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

I appreciate the continued input. I used to play NCAA D1 basketball and having to eat like a horse was par for the course. I still continued to eat like a horse after i stopped...and that got me into trouble. I'm NOWHERE near the physical activity as I was back then even with my hard workouts today. My biggest fear is to be 'wasting' I think there is a psychological barrier to eating more that I have to overcome. I just hope I do it right and with the right sources.

I probably do not get that much myself but if your number one goal is to build muscle you are going to have to eat more. For myself getting leaner and getting as strong as I can at the same time is a goal. Leaner is number one right now though.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Oh, you definitely want to get back to eating like a horse again. But with real food! At 5'9" and 175 pounds, I average 2500 calories on a lazy day. The easiest way to get enough protein is to start your daily meal with the meat. That way you get enough protein before you feel full. I was eating a pound of meat a day (at the beginning of my food time) and feeling awesome, but after a couple of years I noticed what looked like premature aging in my face so now I've dialed it back a little, added back some other foods, and it's been fine. I think once the body has put on a certain amount of muscle, a sort of natural set point for lean mass, it just doesn't need as much protein anymore on a daily basis. No anabolism going on, and the extra cellular debris just stresses the system out. I'm sure if I wanted to lift even heavier I'd keep adding muscle - but I don't. I'm going to live a long time and these are the only bones I have. So, yeah. Eat more, sprint a bit, and fast after workouts for some HGH, that really works. Muscles will grow, they'll eat the fat, and you will only need minimal workouts to maintain a nice physique.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Man you're fucking tall
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I am a small woman (5'2"), and I eat more protein that you do! Your protein choices are low protein. For example, I regularly eat 40-60g of protein at breakfast. Eggs are great--but insuffient protein, so my omelets are either meat (sliced bison steak) or fish (Wild Planet salmon) filled. That chicken sausage has little protein, but if you replaced it with actual chicken--or beef or lamb, you'd get far more protein for a similar amount of food.

My point is that with the same quantity of food you could be getting far more protein if you make better choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast