Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein Powder: place in a primal diet? page

purple579 is offline Member

Protein Powder: place in a primal diet?

Primal Fuel
    I started drinking protein shakes before discovering the primal diet and have found them hard to quit...I like the way they taste(the way I make them at least) and I have found that drinking one at lunch, after my workout, does an excellent job of keeping me full throughout the day. I have read Mark's bit about them on this site and have been trying to slowly work them out of my diet, but they're hard to give up. The Primal Fuel Mark sells is a little out of my price range. What are your thoughts on protein powder and the primal diet?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I'd be concerned about the oxidized cholesterol. Protein is not hard to come by and you don't even need it that much anyways. I like supplements stopped spending money on shakes.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Are you using a flavoured, artificially sweetened powder, or are you adding some straight-up whey protein isolate to a homemade smoothie? Those are two very different things. Some people will tell you never use them, but I feel that a high-quality whey protein can be useful in some situations. But it's not really a replacement for eating real food.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

purple579 is offline Member
    I'm embarrassed to admit I use MetRx from Trader Joe's, which has flavoring and some soy ingredients(lecithin, etc). I really would like to un-incorporate it from my diet but I always seem to get so darn HUNGRY if I don't have a shake with my lunch. I eat tons of veggies and some meat and eggs along with it so it's not exactly a replacement for real food. I guess I'm just worried about cutting it out, getting really hungry between lunch and dinner, and then overeating...

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I think they're not really necessary in my opinion. Most people of a reasonable size can get all the protein they'll ever need through meat, dairy, and eggs. Imagine that... Real whole foods for building muscle!

However, Mark makes and sells one himself so he must think there is a place for them in the diet. In addition, he wrote an entire blog on various protein powder types here: Whey, Casein, Egg White, Pea, Rice and Hemp Protein Powder Analysis | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

ecole66 is online now Senior Member
    I use Dr. Mercola Power Protein after a strength training workout(only twice a week). Whey is a very fact absorbing protein so it gets to the muscles faster than other proteins plus it is rich in Lucien which has been shown to promote muscle growth. It is cold processed and whey concentrate so it is not oxidized or damaged protein. It is also from grass-fed cows. It's expensive but since I only use it once a week it lasts a long time. I think QUALITY Whey Protein Concentrate has a place in your diet but I'm not sure it is beneficial the way you are using it. Replace it in your lunch with tuna or something else high in protein.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    It wont kill you. I always take it after a workout and mostly in the mornings as well. You cant always get enough protein naturally due to time restrictions ect..

Not sure why drumroll says they arent needed. Maybe they arent needed for HIM but lots of people who hit the gym and lift heavy on a regular basis supplement with it. If your sitting on the couch, then thats another story.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    It's totally not necessary to shove protein down your throats after every workout. Even Mark has said so many times. Just one example: Post Workout Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

Besides, I don't necessarily see how a protein shake is necessarily better after a workout than just eating some honest-to-God meat or drinking a glass of milk. There was one guy at a gym I used to go to that used homemade kefir as his post-workout shake. No protein powder added when I asked him about it. And he was RIPPED.

I've also seen people bring slices of turkey or roast beef to eat after workouts. Not to mention my friend who simply goes home and drinks about four ounces of whole milk after a workout.

In the blog that I links to in my earlier post Mark even says that a lot of people can meet their protein needs simply eating whole foods, even if they are heavy lifting regularly.

There are LOTS of options for post-workout protein that don't have to involve a protein powder at all.

My preferred method? Cook a great roast in a crock-pot, workout hard, go home, eat meal.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Probably not necessary, but I use them as well. I have a protein shake most weekday mornings for breakfast. I'm not a morning person, and it takes about 2 minutes to blend and drink a protein shake. Mine are clean and free of crap ingredients. It keeps me full until lunch. It also saves me time. And in reality, it probably even saves me money over what free range eggs and nitrate free bacon or some similar primal breakfast would cost. I'm not rich- I save my money for ingredients for dinner.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's definitely not necessary but in a pinch once in awhile they are not too bad. I just would not have the shakes more ofthen than a regular lunch or PWO meal. Real whole foods trumphs the shake in my opinion.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast