Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein Powder: place in a primal diet? page 2

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Not really necessary unless you are trying to bulk up massively, but go for it if you want. The 20% is there for that reason.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Cwick is offline Junior Member
    I think it has a lot to do with what your goals are and/or why you are taking it...

- Isolate is awesome PWO. I understand that you don't "need" it, but if you are lifting heavy or high volume often, you are probably trying to maintain muscle mass if not trying to add. Whey does not "bulk" you up, the rest of your diet may, but a few servings a day does not.

- would love to bring whole food to the gym but would be a but expensive to eat high quality protein after every workout, whey is very convenient.

- Great to add to plain yogurt for a very low carb snack, also saves money with smoothies etc.

camel is offline Senior Member
    I eat one almost every day. I figure it's fast, filling and doesn't have a lot of crap I it. It doesn't have much in it other than protein, but I eat a lot of nutrient dense foods at the other meals.
    I use Xtreme Whey, just add water.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Every morning I have a breakfast smoothie made with one scoop of whey powder, berries, honey, green tea, and a little coconut milk (plus two eggs). They whey powder is most of my 15%, chocolate is the other 5%. It works for me. I "eat real food" for lunch and dinner and don't have time to whip up a steak every morning.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Whey protein isolate is not necessary but it may have a function in a low carb diet when you want to lose weight and keep on to muscles. If you want to gain muscles I would rather use a scoop of brewers yeast in milk and some chocholate powder. Yes, it tastes pretty awful but it works, much better than whey IMO...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 01-03-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I think it's processed, overpriced junk. If your in transit and your alternative in an airport is a slice of pizza, I'd likely have the protein shake but really, there are so many more unprocessed foods you can fill your diet with that will support your health way more than a supplement. Just one gal's opinion.

Bear is offline Senior Member
    What no one has discussed here are the additional benefits of whey protein, among which are boosting the immune system. I make a Primal Fuel shake with milk and yogurt after each workout, and occasionally when I'm hungry but don't want to make a mid-day meal. The immune system benefits justify whey protein use in my opinion, and Mark's whey protein is excellent if you can justify the expense.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Provided its not a frequent meal replace, there is no problem with protein powder.

MarineWifey247 is offline Junior Member
    I'm glad that you raised this question because my husband is a Marine (12 years) and he's at the gym all the time on top of PTing his Marines (running, hiking long distances, weight lifting, etc.) and I will definitely look at Dr. Mercola Protein Powder as a supplement for him (as well as other carb options given by Mark such as quinoa). Thank you for suggesting that! :-)
    Jessica

MarineWifey247 is offline Junior Member
    Now, I was looking at the website and they have different protein powders available. Which is the best to use? They have miracle whey, pure protein powder, pro-optimal Whey, and pea protein.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast