Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: improved mental clarity? page 3

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Shop Now
    my fog comes back when i let sugar in or grains....best clarity BY FAR was when I was doing ketogenic. Trying to get back there as I 'm an epileptic---controlled for the most part though. My diet really really needs to be clean!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I'm so mentally f'd up that no amount of primal is going to help.
    It's weird, the first few weeks I went primal, I got mental clarity happiness in lieu of carb flu. Then it all mentally went to hell again.

However, a 4-month primal co-worker reported mental clarity.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

RandyStimpson is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Flaxseed's omega-3 is not very bioavailable.
    Do you have a citation for that? I wonder if the bioavailibility depends on whether it is freshely ground, pre-ground, is cooked or not, or what it is eaten with. I am also wondering about the percent bioavailable.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    I seem to remember reading that DHA is the Omega-3 necessary for the production of dopamine, which ADHD people are usually deficient in. Flaxseed has lots of ALA, doesn't it? That would make it not the best supplement for the job. Check out Dr. Daniel Amen. He does SPECT scans of people's brains, and has identified 6 apparent subtypes of ADHD depending on what parts of the brain are overactive or underactive and when. He recommends low carb for all types except overfocused types (these ones have insufficient serotonin, too, and need more carbs). He is not primal, but he has lots of anecdotal evidence about food, activity, and ADHD.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I'm ADHD myself. Right now, I'm in ketosis which in itself gives me a more clear mind almost by default. But at this moment I'm in ketosis AND drinking a lot of yerba mate and, just... Wow. The effect is something else. More than being in ketosis alone.

You might want to give it a try.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Yerba mate hey?
    I wonder if we can get that in Aus, off to google hmm.

Yep I love being in ketosis, I feel full of energy even though have not needed to eat yet today (its nearly 4pm)

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I'm ADHD myself. Right now, I'm in ketosis which in itself gives me a more clear mind almost by default. But at this moment I'm in ketosis AND drinking a lot of yerba mate and, just... Wow. The effect is something else. More than being in ketosis alone.

You might want to give it a try.

What are the ingredients?
    I found where I can get it here, but it doesn't show the ingredients, is it just tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yerba mate hey?
    I wonder if we can get that in Aus, off to google hmm.

Yep I love being in ketosis, I feel full of energy even though have not needed to eat yet today (its nearly 4pm)
    You can buy it from several online vendors and have it shipped to you. So you can ALWAYS get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    What are the ingredients?
    I found where I can get it here, but it doesn't show the ingredients, is it just tea?
    It's an indigenous evergreen plant with all three natural xanthine stimulants (caffeine, theobromine, and theophyline) in it which is native to the Amazon Rainforest that is brewed SORT OF similarly to tea, but it's not actually a true tea.

The Health Benefits of Yerba Mate | Mark's Daily Apple

Yerba mate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Drumroll; 01-05-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Flaxseed's omega-3 is not very bioavailable.
    In the words of J. Stanton "Flaxseed oil (ALA) is not an acceptable substitute. Our bodies are woefully inefficient (less than 1%) at converting it to the DHA we require. Besides, its real name is linseed oil. That’s furniture polish, and furniture polish is not food."
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast