Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What specific supplements to take? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

What specific supplements to take?

Shop Now
    What do you guys normally take for supplements?

I currently take 5000 IU (in the winter living in Seattle) every day and not sure if that is too much. What about fish oil? What brand and how much should I take? I normally have fish at least 1x/week, so on days I don't have fish, what do you guys suggest of dosage?

I'm trying to be economical, so hopefully a solid fish oil brand doesn't cost too much. I didn't see where Mark Sisson has recommended a specific brand of fish oil...

I'm trying to not take too much supplements (I know some take enzymes for digestive health, magnesium, etc)

I just want the bare essentials for now and I'm thinking Vit D and fish oil is a good start.

Thanks for the help.

Timthetaco Guest
    I don't think any are necessary, and on top of that, they're kind of a waste of money. But I'm cynical and strange.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating as much fat as you should be, I see no need for fish oil. I take magnesium citrate 500mg daily and vitamin b6 every other day.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Is there an adequate amount of iodine in your diet? Cutting out refined iodized salt from your diet (which is found in nearly all processed stuff) reduces your iodine intake by a lot.

Kelp is good. You can even get kelp supplements.

I take: Digestive Enzymes, Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Kelp.

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Is there an adequate amount of iodine in your diet? Cutting out refined iodized salt from your diet (which is found in nearly all processed stuff) reduces your iodine intake by a lot.

Kelp is good. You can even get kelp supplements.

I take: Digestive Enzymes, Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Kelp.
    I thought iodine was good for thyroid function?

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    For health purposes I'd go with the vitamin d3, omega3 and probiotics. Mark sells them all. Swanson also a decent brand.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Mark's take on supplementation: Grok Didn’t Take Supplements So Why Should I? | Mark's Daily Apple

I pretty much only take D3 and pop the occasional iodine pill if I haven't had any seaweed lately. Iodine is a bioaccumulative so you don't need to take it every day and can even get TOO much really easily so it's good to use it only when you haven't had any good sources of it in your diet lately.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Assuming you eat dairy and eggs, you already get plenty of iodine. Excessive iodine is shown to cause hypothyroidism.

Only supplements you probably need(assuming you eat bone broth, beef liver, oysters) are vitamin e, d3, and magnesium from bath salts(or oxide).
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Eh, I eat plenty of eggs, but I get almost NO dairy these days. I might eat cheese if it's in a dish I eat at a restaurant, but I eat out SO rarely these days...

I try to eat some seaweed at least once a week, but I don't always remember it. If I don't get it, I might pop an iodine pill to make up for it that week. I don't take it daily (package recommends this and it's almost criminal). My supplement is basically ground up kelp in a pill so it's pretty much seaweed anyway.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    What do you guys think of 5-HTP?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast