Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GAPS Intro No Diarrhea or Constipation page

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member

GAPS Intro No Diarrhea or Constipation

Primal Fuel
    Is it even working? I am on day 6 and I've had none of the die off symptoms except that I've been very cranky and at times hungry. I've also not had any relief from my allergies, which is why I am doing the diet. I had the allergies before I started (so has DH and DS, who is not on the diet). DH is having a similar experience: no digestive issues and still having intense allergies.

I'm getting very bored of the food and am tempted to quit. I want something I can sink my teeth into and CHEW. I'm making the food as tasty as possible w/in the perimeters, using fresh herbs and salt, but w/out lemons, night shades and all the other verboten foods I'm loosing interest in preparing meals. I'm a very experienced cook and do not mind taking the time to prepare meals but when the end result is meh, I loose my motivation.

One more complaint: the sour cream that I'm making didn't turn sour. I am using kefir grains that I got from our goat milk provider and the cream has been sitting out now with the grains for 36 hrs and it just tastes like cream. I made sour cream in the fall and it only took about 12 hrs.

Any experienced GAPers out there to talk me down? I dare not unburden my full annoyance to DH as he's been a real trooper on the diet, but he's also a sugar fiend and would jump ship if given half a chance.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I attempted the GAPS intro/diet but it didn't seem to do anything for me, so I eventually went a different route to heal my IBS/possible leaky gut/digestive issues. I personally found the intro phase (and even the full diet) to be too limiting, but I'd already done over a year's worth of elimination diets with no positive outcome. I eventually found out that for me, making an improvement wasn't about eliminating even more foods from my already strict paleo diet, but trading out the high insoluble fiber veggies for more starches and sugars, using bone broth, supplementing with L-glutamine, eating smaller meals, and improving sleep and stress. I'm sure there are others out there who used the GAPS diet with great effect, but it was a bust for me.

I found this article by Chris Kresser to be really interesting; he discusses the GAPS diet, specifically how to know whether it's helping or not.

Answers to your burning questions about digestion

Thanks BB I read the link. According to Chris one should see some changes w/in a few weeks. I've only been on GAPS for 6 days, so it's too early to say. I probably just need to buck up.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    The stages of Intro can be gone through as fast as 2 days each; you stay on each longer only if you still have diarrhea happening (if that was one of your problems). No reason you can't be having tasty meals by now (roasts, stews, even grilled meat should be up soon; citrus fruits shouldn't be more than a day or two away either, IIRC).

You shouldn't expect to see symptoms like allergies going away immediately. It would take more time, almost certainly.

GAPS did a tremendous amount of good for our family, and ultimately, helped us to decide what level and types of grains we can serve our children. We came to not having wheat, ever, but having quality corn, peas, rice, etc., once in a while. Certainly not weekly. Some of the things we saw go away:

borderline Oppositional Defiant Disorder
    Tourette's syndrome (went from constant in three of our children to just occasional)
    lifelong eczema
    enuresis
    excessive ear wax (talk about unexpected!)
    and much more

Some of these were primarily from going 100% all-the-time wheat-free, but others were not. The ODD change was dramatic and permanent. This child is still my most resistant, but nowhere near the constant battle he was. That change happened in two days of Intro. Others took longer or much longer.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Sorry it is getting on your nerves already, Forager. Besides penicillin, I have no true allergies, so I can't offer advice/life experience for that, but you have my sincere sympathies!

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    I'll confirm that you shouldn't expect to see any huge changes right now except no new allergies. I tell everyone that GAPS is amazing but it's not a cure all. Supplements and Chinese medicine for me were absolutely needed. GAPS just helped me get better so much faster. Even my doctor was amazed how fast my body reacted. I did Intro and then regular GAPS for 6 months before transitioning to Primal. Months 6 to 8 were mostly GAPS but with a "cheat" about once a week.

I've discovered from helping many others through GAPS, it is really important to stick with it (mostly) for several months and support the body with supplements and/or herbs to see lasting effects. If it's just not doable, make sure to keep tons of broth and fermented foods in the diet.

If you aren't experiencing diarrhea then move the heck on! :-)
    Last edited by jkr; 01-01-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Mamagrok your experience is encouraging. DH and I are going through the stages in 2 days, neither one of us has any digestive issues. We both have chronic allergies (sneezing, runny nose) he has aching joints. The food is getting better daily. Tomorrow we introduce the almond bread and olive oil so it occurred to me that I could make chicken salad sandwiches using home made aioli.

Thanks Crabbcakes for your support. I don't do well with dietary restrictions, I've never considered Primal to be restrictive because the foods are so varied and delicious.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Just be sure and keep the "bread" to a minimum. The most common mistake in GAPS, according to Dr. Campbell-McBride, is using nut & other flours to make baked goods as often, or anywhere near as often, as we used to.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Thanks for the reminder Mamagrok, I will keep the baked goods to a minimum. I'm not that fond of them but DH is partial to any kind of baked good so if I don't make them he won't be tempted to eat them.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Howzit going for you today, Forager, with GAPS?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast