Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GAPS Intro No Diarrhea or Constipation page 3

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks so much MamaGrok! Looks like DH and I will have to put our heads together and come up with a plan. That is if he is truly motivated to stop snacking and loose some weight. I know it's up to him but he likes me to help him, by doing some research and by preparing some foods in advance. Since I'm a stay at home mom I have more time for those things. In the past he would have coffee with heavy cream before leaving for work and then have a substantial lunch of leftovers. I sometimes make egg/meat muffins and he'll take them for lunch, but he may need to eat something like that for breakfast. I suspect he needs to eat more at meals (he's 6' 2"). So do you also have lunch?

I appreciate your answering my questions, it seems like your WOE may be an approach that would help DH. He and I have such different eating requirements and issues we are attempting to resolve it's unlikely we will be able to eat exactly the same way.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I got to the point where I no longer need or even desire lunch. It's very freeing not to have to worry about that extra meal every day! But it took a while to get there, and for a while, I couldn't go without b/c cravings came back a bit, and then after a while of realizing I really *have* to have 65gm *every* morning, now I don't need lunch anymore.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    MamaGrok -
    We have never had problems eating dinner for breakfast, or breakfast for dinner, or any such alternative arrangement. Food just is "food" at this house, no labels save the necessary titles for those with official diets, as in "wheat is not gluten-free". So a hot roast chicken dinner has, for example, been known to happen here at 9 am, just not every day.

I don't ever call anything "bad" here, but I know what you mean, so thank you. I am still solving Third's food issues (I call her Third on the MDA because this child is my third-born), and she gets the munchies sometimes just like a pothead, and will stim and obsess over potato chips and French fries and anything else even semi-snacky in appearance until we are ready to scream. Just in case you didn't know, my Third is also special-needs with the official label of "multiply disabled". Anyway, the potato thing is pretty much the only diversion Third has from her otherwise-orthodox SCD, and this summer I took those items off her plate after learning about o-3/o-6 ratios and canola oil/seed oils, etc from the Primal and replaced them with tallow and lard (I was already using bacon fat, evoo, and pan drippings - I was raised that way). And her speech ability just soared. Score one for Mark Sisson.

She weighs 90 pounds at exactly 5 feet height. You can't see her ribs, but she is definitely bean-poley.

Third had an endoscopy at about age 4, doing the biopsy for celiac disease. Hers came back neg, but with the remark that they found chronic inflammation - I had put her on the gluten-free diet already at this point. One year later I started the SCD because the g/f didn't solve everything. The peds GI did watch for fat absorption issues, but did not find anything to officially diagnose. Yet - this kid can suck down shitloads of pure fat (she CHEWS 500mg concentrated DHA softgel capsules when I give them to her) and not get sick, or develop diarrhea, or anything else; it is like her metabolism is off in this regard. She has had so many blood tests in her past that the phlebotomist had to, at one point, calculate her blood volume versus what the docs wanted to take - I am sure t3 is in there, I would have to call the doc for her last one. I will look into the Metametrics - never have gone that route.

Just so you know - thanks for all your advice!

Aaaaand, since you are on my alcohol thread, perhaps I should start tomorrow morning with a big ole whack of protein...

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're definitely on the right track putting her on a GAPS/SCD type healing diet. There's something that all her symptoms point to, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It might be worth a consultation with an expert, like a GAPS practitioner, or Jack Kruse, or someone else who is very experienced at getting to the bottom of difficult cases and looking big picture at the whole thing.

Her cravings are ridiculously familiar to me. I know what she's going through. The body is screaming - FEED ME THAT STUFF!! - and you have to ignore it constantly, and you have to put all your energy into ignoring it, and if you stop for just a moment, WHAM you realize you've just eaten a bunch of crap.

For me, fat malabsorption has been a crucial part of the picture. It's why I crave more food; it's why my teeth hurt & I had kidney stones (calcium wasn't going where it should b/c I wasn't absorbing all that beautiful Kerrygold!); it's why I had IBS for over a year. It's why I couldn't lose weight, apparently! It may or may not play a part for her.

I hope you have every success with what you're doing! She's blessed to have a mother like you.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123