Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GAPS Intro No Diarrhea or Constipation page 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    We are on stage 5 of GAPS intro and the food is getting better. DH and I weighed ourselves today as we've been on the diet for a week, neither one of us has lost any weight so we are obviously not being deprived. We have one more stage to go and then we will be on full GAPS which doesn't look all that different from the way we were eating with a few notable exceptions: no heavy cream, wine or chocolate.
    We've had no problems digesting anything so we are moving through the stages somewhat quickly. Still no changes with allergies, in fact they've been pretty annoying. I'm not looking to loose any weight (though I wouldn't complain if I lost 5#) but DH still has weight to loose. He was hoping to re-set his appetite and get his snacking under control but I don't think that's happened.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I thought wine was allowed on GAPS. I know for sure hard liquor is, but can't remember 100% about wine.

Great to hear how easily intro went for you! My whole family got sick on day 2 with die-off, sicker than we've ever been, for 24hrs, and then we were through it. I know it was die-off, b/c it all started at the same time & ended at the same time, and even dh got sick ... he NEVER vomits, only time in the 19 years I've known him.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

My best suggestion for snackiness is morning protein. Bar none. At least 25gm, and move it up from there. When I hit 50gm breakfast protein, I, the Snack Queen, stopped wanting snacks, and have never wanted or eaten one in the 18 months since. Miracle.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    My best suggestion for snackiness is morning protein. Bar none. At least 25gm, and move it up from there. When I hit 50gm breakfast protein, I, the Snack Queen, stopped wanting snacks, and have never wanted or eaten one in the 18 months since. Miracle.
    This is totally interesting. I have a kid on the SCD, seven years now, and OMG is she a chow hound! If I could put a dent in that incessant appetite doing this, I think we both would be gloriously happy!

It worked for my children, too. The ones who weighed less than 45lb, I have eat the equivalent of at least one egg or one ounce of meat at every meal (more is better, but that's my minimum requirement - and it is a requirement ... if they're in the "I don't want any" phase, they get no other food till it's eaten, b/c it does so. much. good. for them. Seriously, it's like a different child, both in snackiness, and overall mood control all day long). If they're 46-100lb, it's at least two eggs or two ounces of meat at every meal. And older get 3+.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I'll pass this on to DH. I don't have a good grasp on what 25 or 50 gm of protein looks like so can you give an example of what you ate? DH gets up early and doesn't usually eat breakfast before he leaves for work so it may be hard for him to make something in the morning. I probably should get up and make him something but I can't bare to get up that early!

Wine in moderation is allowed on GAPS. I just think it might be good to take a break for a while. I'm sort of doing it to support DH; he's a real chocoholic and if he can give that up I feel like I should give up something I like.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Here is what my 12 yo ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, scrambled (3 eggs for breakfast are her daily breakfast - she has the opportunity to eat a quiet breakfast at her school, but I always provide all her food as she is SCD)

Lunch: 2 cups of fat-rich calamari stew, 2 cups of green peas (her personal favorite), an additional 2 cups green salad, homemade vinaigrette, 8 pan-fried peeled potato wedges (I know, but this far in she can totally tolerate it)

Snack at school: clean, no-added-sugar applesauce cup

Dinner last night: 3 cups clam chowder (coconut milk, no corn, recipe adjusted by me from the traditional), cool water, a serving of smelts fried in tallow and olive oil

And I think she snuck some of my dark chocolate.

This kid is completely capable of downing 3 cups of tuna salad in one sitting plus the veggies I require of her (otherwise she wouldn't bother with them), or close to a pound of steak, or 8 salmon patties - ask me how I know this... And she is a beanpole. A couple of years ago she downed 27 shrimp in one sitting, went to bed happy, and slept like an angel.

I haven't looked, but are 3 eggs enough protein to work your system (as I am so not a numbers gal)? Perhaps I should add a cup of homemade bone broth daily, like an adult's morning coffee. For me too, perhaps.

Reading your posts, MamaGrok and Crabbcakes I feel like the Dove in the nursery rhyme The Wren and the Dove:

The Dove and the Wren

The dove says coo, coo, what shall I do?
    I can scarce maintain two.
    Pooh, pooh! says the wren, I've got ten,
    And keep them all like gentlemen.

So I always pay close attention to your comments.

1 oz of meat = 1 egg = 7gm protein. So 25gm is about 3 eggs + a bit of bacon.

I have a big craving problem and I personally needed 50gm (about 3 eggs & a full serving of meat like sausage or pork chop) to stop craving snacks. I need 65gm to stop having cravings altogether.

I think part of it might be b/c of my recently diagnosed intestinal damage from wheat, leading to severe malabsorption - I'm not getting all thenutrient I go out of my way to eat. Part of it may be related - Ca is low b/c I'm not absorbing enough A, D, K2, & Mg. Low Calcium -> agouti issues -> increased NPY -> increased cravings (if I remember the chain right).

If your daughter is eating a ton an still thin as a rail, you might want to check her freeT3 to be sure she's not hyperthyroid. Or check her fat malabsorption via a Metametrix GI Effects or Enterolabs test.

I totally resisted the idea of cooking my breakfast, but it absolutely put an end to my snackiness & cravings. That was one thing that GAPS couldn't touch at all, for me. It was so worth it. But leftover meat does the same thing! (I've also had to get over my Kelloggs-induced ideas of what breakfast is like. My breakfast looks like dinner now, but that's what happens when you have to eat 65gm of meat/fish/eggs every morning!) I've learned to get over ideas that "I shouldn't have to cook for breakfast" or "Such-and-such isn't a breakfast food" or "Meat should be hot" if I want to get better. And oh, boy, have I ever gotten better!

Oh, and, depending on your daughter's weight, 3 eggs may or may not be enough. It also depends on her propensity to have cravings. If she's sneaking food, they're pretty bad, and I think it will bring you some relief to know there's almost certainly an overwhelming urge with a physiological cause, rather than her just being a bad, deceitful person.

So for some people, 3 eggs is plenty, and for some, if heavier or with worse cravings, it's not. Most do fine with less. I need a lot more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast