Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Do You Buy Your Quality Meat? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Where Do You Buy Your Quality Meat?

Simple questions... if you currently buy only grass-fed, pastured, free-range, organic... all that good stuff kind of meat... where do you buy it from?

1. Locally (farm or store) or online?

2. If online, what are your favorite websites?

3. If locally, how did you find the store/farm?

4. What are your favorite brands???

I think this will help out a lot of people especially me. I am finding a ton of great websites that sell quality meat that we all love. But, which ones are best? I am not sure because I have not tried any.

My favorite quality meats so far are Smart Chicken (sells organic free-range chicken) and Applegate Farms (LOVE there 100% grass-fed hot dog to death!)

Thanks guys!! My life is changing...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    It is much more economic to buy your animal products locally, I've found.

I do regular business with about 4 local food producers: Nagimor Farm, Baitsholt Farm, Heather Ridge Farm, and Gem's Buffalo Farm. Three of them are within 30 min. drive, and one is a little longer.

I found all of them using internet resources----eatwild.com, localharvest.org, NYS Dept. of Agriculture website, NY Farm and Food Project----or because they come to my local farmer's market.

Most of them offer discounts on quantity purchases or specials.

It is really nice when "your" farmer gives you a bag of chicken feet or a dozen eggs as a thank you for your business. I love doing business face-to-face with my food producers. I love to see their farms and their animals grazing.

Good luck and happy hunting!
    Sooze

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I am disabled, and my local sources are limited. I can get good, wild frozen fish in my supermarket, but I buy my beef and bison online.

I have used Wellness Beef for years, and their product and customer service is excellent--they also sell other meats and poultry.

Although they sell bison from North Star, I buy directly from North Star because they offer more products on their own website. Terrific customer service.

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    I've bought online from both US Wellness and Slanker's. US Wellness has better packaging and a lower minimum order. Slanker's offers both marrow and organ meats at much lower prices.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Local farm I found online.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I get my beef about an hour drive from my place. We just placed our custom cut order for 1/4 cow including organs, fat, and soup bones after we went down and visited the ranch. Linda, Rachel, and Tyler are wonderful people. http://www.trailsendbeef.com/

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Across the street. I helped butcher a whole pig yesterday!

Thanks for the input guys! I discovered wellness meats and I think I am going to have to give them a try. I want to buy locally so I will have to get on that soon. The convenience of online buying would be HUGE for me right now. I have found wild fish at Costco so I will be eating more fish now since I will be getting a membership there next Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    Across the street. I helped butcher a whole pig yesterday!
    Lucky you I want to do shit like that as soon as I possibly can. That is what living a primal lifestyle is all about!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My dad works with a guy who is starting a farm, so we've got connections. He knows people who have wild boar, grass-fed cattle, etc. He's going to be raising his own in a few years. Eggs come from the Amish, as well as goat milk and veggies. I got some roosters free on Craig's List.

Mostly it's about keeping your eyes and ears open and talking to people. You can pay full price at most markets, but it really helps to make connections to get a deal. Make friends with the butchers in the area too. Mine gives me extra hearts, livers, kidneys and tongues VERY cheap. As little as $1/lb if he's got a lot of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast