Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - lpeppersauce page 3

Primal Fuel
    End of week 3 update: My weight is still bouncing, but I expected that, since I'm in day 9 of hormonal craziness with at least 2 more to go. I'm still eating well and getting as much exercise as I can fit in, so I'm trying not to worry about weight right now. I haven't been walking as much as I would like, but I should be able to walk for half an hour at lunch every day this week. I had three hours of bellydance class last night and a LHT workout is planned for tonight, so tomorrow is definitely going to be a rest day. Maybe I'll manage to fit a sprint workout in this week?
    Last edited by lpeppersauce; 01-22-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Height: 5'7"
    SW: 178.0 (1/1/2013)
    CW: 163.2
    GW: I'll know when I get there!

My Primal Journal

First the good news: the 11-day ToM-that-never-ends is officially over! This morning I was almost back down to my low of last week, which means I'm dropping some of the annoying sloshy water weight.

The bad news: Yesterday I realized that I had no actual clue how many carbs or calories I was eating in a day, so I signed up on fitday and logged my food. I don't have the exact numbers with me (fitday won't load on our slow network at work), but the total calories was somewhere around 2500 and the carbs were around 130. I can probably maintain perfectly well at that level, but I definitely do better losing weight when I lower my carbs. And that's just more calories than I need.

Of course, now that I know the problem, I can come up with a plan to fix it.

1. Restrict honey to 1/2 tbsp per day (~32 calories and 8.5 carbs). Yesterday I had 1.5 tbsp, which is 96 calories and 25.5 carbs.

2. Restrict starchy veggies, like green peas, and sweet fruit, like apples. I'm not giving either up entirely (I've done that before, but I hated it), but I don't need to have both every day. Yesterday I had more than 50 carbs from peas and an apple. If I had had zucchini and strawberries instead, that would have been closer to 15.

3. Don't eat lunch unless/until I'm actually hungry for lunch. I generally eat lunch at work because that's what I always do, or because I'm bored and want the break. Hunger doesn't factor into my decision, and it should.

So there's my plan. Let's see how well I stick to it!

My Primal Journal

New low today! 6.2 lbs down, woohoo!

I did much better on my food yesterday, and came in at about 2000 calories and 71 grams of carbs. Breakfast was a smoothie with greek yogurt, heavy cream, berries, coconut oil, and honey. I cut down the honey in it to 1/4 tbsp (from the 1/2 tbsp I usually use), and at some point I'm going to try cutting it out entirely. At lunchtime, I wasn't hungry enough to eat, so I waited. 3pm rolled around, and all of a sudden I was hungry. It was only an hour 'til I could go home, and I really didn't want to eat my whole lunch then, so close to dinnertime, so I just had a handful of almonds. That held me over just fine, and for dinner my BF and I went to a steakhouse where I had a wonderful sirloin, mixed veggies, and a baked potato with butter. Tasty food, no starving myself, and weight loss. Such a nice combination!

This morning I had a smaller breakfast because I was running late and didn't have time to make a smoothie - an apple and a handful of almonds. I'll probably eat lunch at the normal time, because that's an hour away and I'm starting to get hungry. And I'm considering making a roast beef for dinner, depending on whether or not my 7pm rehearsal gets cancelled due to weather. It's supposed to snow this afternoon and tonight (2-4 inches), and that happens rarely enough around here that a lot of things shut down. Luckily, I planned a LHT workout for tonight, so I don't have to drive anywhere and deal with all the people who don't know how to drive in snow.

My Primal Journal

And another new low today! 6.8 lbs down!

I was pretty bad about food today, though. I had a non-Primal lunch at Steak 'n Shake, which consisted of a burger with a bun and french fries. Since the closest Steak 'n Shake is two hours away, I only get there once every few months, so I'm just chalking this up to my 20%. Unlike previous trips, I didn't get the large fry or ice cream, so I think I showed remarkable restraint!

The rest of the day was better, but I just ate too much food. I had a pound of bacon for breakfast, when half a pound would probably have filled me just fine. I always have that problem with bacon. If I make a pound, I'm going to eat a pound. Dinner was pot roast, grilled zucchini, and redskin mashed potatoes at a different restaurant (I was out all day with my parents). I probably should have skipped the potatoes and just gotten more zucchini, but I was feeling weak. I finished the day at about 2500 calories and 117 grams of carbs, which is higher than I would prefer. Also, my fat percentage, which has been sitting at 60-70%, is down in the 50% range today.

I expect to be back up a couple pounds from this, but we'll see what the damage is tomorrow. I don't really regret any of it. One non-Primal meal every few weeks isn't going to kill me, and it was very tasty and totally worth it! I'll jump back on that wagon tomorrow before it leaves me behind.

My Primal Journal

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Steak 'n Shake, that takes me back! I haven't been to one of those in years. Next time I visit my mom I'll take her there, she loves it. Alas, she is not primal.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Yeah, I'm very lucky the closest Steak 'n Shake is so far from me. They're currently building one 10 minutes from my apartment. I'm going to be in big trouble when it's finished!

My Primal Journal

Turns out the burger and fries didn't set me back badly at all. Yesterday I had jumped about one pound (a lot less than I expected) and then this morning I hit a new low. 7.2 lbs down!

Here's my current issue: I have magical shrinking pants. The underwear, I expected. The elastic in the waist of my underwear is apparently super-elastic, able to fit me at 217 lbs (my heaviest a couple years ago) or 162 (my lightest last year), lasting through four years of washing without a problem. I want to buy new underwear. I've had most of these pairs for four years, and I'm tired of them. I can't justify buying new stuff, though, because these just won't die. No holes, no ripped seams, no over-stretched elastic, no sagging, nothing. Why won't they die so I get fun new underwear??

The underwear isn't the problem right now, though. The pants are the problem. My tape measure told me last week that I had lost two inches in my hips (I measure again tomorrow, so I don't know what it is now). Today I went down a hole in my belt. And my pants, which were a little uncomfortably tight in December, are still a little uncomfortably tight. That button digs into my stomach just as much as ever, and the waistband still leaves those oh-so-sexy red lines across my skin. They've been washed enough that they shouldn't be shrinking, and yet I think they are. I'm not asking them to fall off while still buttoned (though it would be nice, because that's my signal to buy new pants). I just want them to fit more comfortably, and they refuse to do that.

At this rate, I will never buy new clothes. I'll lose 6 inches in my hips, yet my pants will still be tight and my underwear will still fit fine. How did I end up with magical shrinking pants?

In other news, I got to spend yesterday afternoon ferrying my BF around to the emergency room and pharmacy. Apparently his kitchen chairs were being unruly, so he had to kick them to keep them quiet. Sadly, chairs are harder than toes, so he managed to fracture his pinkie toe in the process (He thinks "pinkie toe" sounds much manlier than "baby toe." I think none of this sounds manly at all.). He's on crutches in a velcro shoe (which he says is comfortable enough that it might be worth breaking the other foot and getting the matched set) because he can't put any weight on it, so I'm on my own for walking for the time being. And I get to help his step-dad load 50-lb bags of concrete into his truck, because he can't do it and stay upright. I guess that'll be my LHT workout later this week!

My Primal Journal

This morning marks the official end of week 4. So far, so good. Two inches down in my hips, which is always the hardest place for me to lose. I'm definitely sleeping better and have more energy. My skin is clearing up on my face. I still have some bumps, and I'm not going to lose those until my hormones come back into balance. What's left is much less cystic than before, though. My digestion has been better and I've only had to take Tums once in the last four weeks (as opposed to three or four times a week before).

I went a bit over my calorie and carb numbers yesterday. I didn't have lunch because I didn't have anything in the house to pack. I had my big fatty smoothie in the morning (about 30 grams of carbs), but I was hungrier than usual and that just didn't cut it. When I got home from work, I was very hungry and I only had an hour to cook and eat before heading to dance class. I had probably 12-16 oz of steak, a lot more garden peas than I needed (almost 40 grams of carbs worth), and a very large apple (another 30 grams of carbs). My calories came in at about 2200, which isn't too bad, but 100 grams is more carbs than I need.

Today I don't have lunch because there's still nothing in the house to pack, but I had my big smoothie an hour later than usual (I missed my alarm this morning) and brought a banana and some almonds for a snack. Hopefully I won't overeat for dinner as much as I did yesterday. I have a roast in the crock pot that should be done cooking by the time I get home, hopefully. Maybe I'll grill some zucchini and squash to go with it.

My Primal Journal

I haven't checked in in a couple weeks, but since nothing has really changed, there didn't seem to be much point. My weight hasn't budged, which isn't a big surprise considering I'm eating too much fruit and starchy veggies and regularly going above 100 grams of carbs per day. I'm still getting in as much walking as I can, belly dancing, and doing a Four Essential Movements workout at least once a week (I try for twice, but it doesn't always happen). I still haven't worked sprinting into the equation, but that'll probably wait for March.

Today is both Mardi Gras and Early Valentine's Day (I'll be out of town on Thursday, so my BF and I are celebrating early). That means that tonight I will be indulging myself with a hamburger with a bun (*gasp*), french fries, and chocolate cake, followed by popcorn at the movie theater. I am certain that I will feel the effects tomorrow, and they won't be pleasant, but I'm ok with that. I figure if I keep my big indulgence dinners to once a month, I'm probably doing alright.

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, which means I will be fasting all day. The official Catholic position on fasting is one normal sized meal and two snacks, but I prefer to keep a full fast if I can (water only from sleep to sleep). I don't expect a huge problem, since I've done this for years. Tonight's indulgence may make it a little harder, but that's why it's called a sacrifice!

For Lent, I am cutting down to one serving of fruit per day and giving up potatoes entirely. In general, I think fruit and potatoes are perfectly healthy things to eat, but I know from experience that they do stall my weight loss. Also, I'd like to try to keep my food journal more regularly and stick to 50-80 grams of carbs/day. I don't think that will be a problem without potatoes and with restricted fruit.

On Thursday I leave for a recruiting weekend at one of the schools I applied to (I'm trying to go back for a PhD). I've told them that I'm gluten intolerant, so we'll see what they come up with. I have no clue what kind of food they're providing, but at least I know I won't be getting sandwiches. Supposedly the rooms have refrigerators, so I'll probably bring leftover cooked bacon, coconut oil chocolate, and almond flour-breaded chicken fingers to tide me over if the food sucks. I'd really like to be able to stick to my "no potatoes and one fruit" thing while I'm there. If I do, it will mark the first time I've been able to go on a weekend trip without going crazy with food.

My Primal Journal

Woohoo, 169!!! First new low since last month, and I broke into the 160s!!! So far so good on the restricted fruit for Lent. I did eat potatoes while I was on my trip and didn't log my food (because I didn't have my computer with me), but now that I'm home I'm a potato-less food-logging champion. It all seems to be helping. I was at 171 when I left for my trip on Thursday (after an Ash Wednesday fast), 172.2 on Monday after I got home, and 169 this morning, four days later. Now let's see if I can keep this up.

My Primal Journal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast