Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing too much weight on Primal page 2

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    118 at 5'4" is not too skinny depending on her build. She could go as low as 105, and still be considered very healthy.
    A friend of mine was 105 at that height and it started to look a bit too small with muscles flattened out. I thought 110-115 was a lot better on a curvy frame. So 118? That's just about perfect.

And my bet is that with one eating plenty it won't be too hard to maintain weight. The thing is that weight loss comes so easily if you're starting out a lot fatter. Because the extra fat on the body keeps the metabolism high, one can typically stay on a low carb diet and the fat will continue to come off.

But when you're leaner on the other hand, it doesn't work that way. You're metabolism is lowered from the lowered body weight and will even further decrease to maintain weight even when you reduce calories. If you reduce calories, the fat will still come off, but it takes longer than when you were fatter because of the reduced metabolism.

That's why it shouldn't be difficult to avoid losing weight on someone who is already lean, providing they are eating well and not starving themselves. If she was fatter before she can gain it back again. Reintroduce ways to put the calories back in, and the weight will surely come back.

Since keeping the fat off is the hard part for a lot of people, I'd say if you've reached a good weight, that's the point in time when you can afford a little bit more leeway to eat what you want. At that point you just have to pay attention to make sure you aren't making any mistakes and gaining again.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure you're getting enough fat for calories? Are you tracking intake?

Secondly to that you should be getting in SOME carbs anyway to feed the brain and stay balanced if anything. Not sure if you are or not.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I echo the other posters who say your woman probably ain't too skinny. I'm 5'4.5 and currently 115.6lbs. Trust me, I have some "hell-o" in my jell-o.

And anyway...why are you so concerned with what your wife weighs? Are you sure this really isn't about all the attention your wife's getting now that she's lost weight? As long as she's healthy and hormonally balanced, it's none of your business.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    My mom is 5'4". She gets too skinny in the 120's. I am 5"5, 20% fat will have me at about 153-155. People are build different! She could easily be too skinny at that weight. Or not!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Is your wife worried about her weight or just you?

Honestly, I wouldn't do anything yet... I'd try a wait and see approach. I believe following a healthy primal diet, and eating until satisfied (but not overfull) should eventually lead you to YOUR ideal weight. I don't know what your wife's is, but possibly it's lower than she is now!

You may also find that very soon her weight will reach an equilibrium which will be just fine for her.

I will also ask if she's a naturally thin person who has struggled to gain weight her entire life? Some people really are just built that way, and it's okay!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yes people are built different so a satisfactory weight will depend on a lot of things, including the look that you like. If you both feel she's getting too thin then you are probably right. I am 5'4" also and at approx 125 I don't want to get any skinnier. I would probably still be healthy but the look would be a bit scrawny.

I am still eating primal because I love the food and I really love the health benefits that have come with dropping wheat. Exercise makes me hungrier but also burns more calories so that seems to balance itself out. If I'm hungry at the end of the day I try adding a milk chocolate drink.

I will add avocado, butter, cream, or cheese to practically anything and snack on nuts or fruit.

While not wanting to experience the sugar cravings and mood swings again, I have allowed myself to become much freer with my carb intake - sweet potatoes, bananas, even rice and white potatoes (though not strictly primal they don't seem to disagree with me).

Despite all this I suspect my weight is still slowly dropping. Not sure what else to suggest, other than that I'm discovering it's necessary to eat differently to maintain than to lose. Maybe sometimes we just need some empty calories.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    118 at 5'4 sounds just fine to me. I'm the same height and I was still trying to lose weight at 118. Is she the one trying not to lose more weight or are you the one primarily concerned about her weight?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12