Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primal Journal (Bugeyed) page 3

Bugeyed is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Saturday Morning
    Weight: 203.4#
    BP: 128/90
    Diet: Spent the week on a stress-filled business trip, so I was pretty worried about eating well. The good news is I stayed in the company's rental house, which meant I had a kitchen and refrigerator to work with. As a result, breakfasts and lunches were fairly consistent and healthy. The bad news was the evening "group dinners" and such, which caused me to stray a few few nights.
    Exercise: Pretty much hopeless. I did some basic things like pushups, and I walked two afternoons for 1 mile each, but otherwise there was zero time for exercise and/or I really didn't feel like it when I returned to the rental house after 12 hours days.

Overall I'm not too unhappy with this past week. I managed to drop a few pound despite the biz trip.

Sunday Morning - One Month Into The Lifestyle Change
    Weight: 205# (net loss of 8.4 pounds)
    BP: 121/71 (down almost 10mmHG on average. wow.)
    Diet: Now that I've gone one month, I think I'd give myself only a C+ or B- on the diet front. Generally speaking, I've been faithful to the Paleo diet at least 2 out of 3 meals a day, but far too frequently I break down at dinner, or I have a snack that isn't on the approved list. I think I'm getting more diligent, but it's been surprisingly difficult to make the full conversion to a paleo/primal diet. i think the biggest reason why this is so is all the processed white starchy food that my wife and son have in the house, and how hard it is to resist indulging in some of the hashbrowns my wife likes to make, or having a toasted tortilla when I see my son making one for a snack.
    Exercise: I'd give myself a B- on this front, too, but mostly because of the effect business trips have had on my ability/willingness to exercise before or after a long work day. When I'm home, it's much, much easier to walk, lift, and do push-ups and pull-ups.

It's hard to see in the monthly embarrassing (and hairy!) photos, below, but I'm definitely toning up, plus my clothes are fitting a little better.
    02-2013 Back Cropped.jpg02-2013 Front Cropped.jpg02-2013 Side Cropped.jpg
    Last edited by Bugeyed; 02-03-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Sunday Morning
    Weight: 199.4
    BP: 130/90
    Diet: Been very religious following the primal diet all week.
    Exercise: Essentially none; the main reason for this is I've been sick. Caught some kind of nasty chest cold on my my last biz trip flight last week, and I have had very little success shaking it. It's bordering on bronchitis. Any suggestions on how to shake this crud?

Sunday Morning
    Weight: 200.6
    BP: 121/73
    Diet: Mostly good, but sinned Friday night and yesterday a bit. Bummer is I'm heading off on two weeks of biz travel in a few hours from now, and it's always tough for me to stay the course on these junkets.
    Exercise. Walked some and did one day of light free weights. Still shaking off the remnants of this nasty chest cold crud.

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Sinned? How so?

Look at the entire idea of the primal lifestyle- it's circled around being healthy but more so being happy and enjoying life. Don't look at any outside foods as a "sin". Look at those foods as a craving, a need. So long as you recognize whatever you at as a treat I think it would be non primal if you didn't eat/enjoy it.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Saturday Morning
    Weight: 201.4#
    BP: 129/75

Diet: This was a tough week for me, as I was on a business trip for most of the week. I managed to eat primally in the mornings (Denver omelettes in the hotel restaurant). Lunches were a relatively healthy affair, too, as the administrative assistant charged with ordering our lunches follows a primal lifestyle; we had things like broiled chicken, salmon, steamed vegetables, etc. That's the good news; the bad news is almost every evening I ended up eating at banquets and such that were decidedly not primal. Lots of deep-fried foods, breads, pizza, etc.

Exercise: forced myself to walk each morning (despite rain) from the hotel to the offices (~1.2 miles each way) and on the return in the evening. I also downloaded a body-weight exercise app for my smart phone that is surprisingly motivating. It focuses on push-ups, sit-ups, chair dips, squats, and pull-ups (performed on a stout interior door in the hotel room). I have been following this fairly religiously.

Biggest issue for the coming week is yet another week-long biz trip.

PS. Thanks to Ecks for the reality check and motivation. Cheers, mate!

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's a shame they couldn't deep fry foods in animal fat like they used to... Then at least they wouldn't be completely terrible.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123