Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis and improved Aerobic Capacity and Muscular Endurance

Hybrid View

Ketosis and improved Aerobic Capacity and Muscular Endurance

Has anyone noticed improvement in aerobic performance or muscular endurance while in Ketosis? This link to a very detailed article on the subject suggests this should be the case -

Ketosis - knowing some biochemistry would be helpful in reviewing this insightful article.

Personally I have experienced this somewhat, but it took about 3 weeks before the impact kicked in and I noticed a difference in my runs and body weight workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Thanks Annlee, that was a very informative article. The charter illustrating fat vs glycogen usage after being in Ketosis was quite enlightening.

Yes, I have. Whilst in the last few months I have not cycled faster, I have cycled with better breathing and less recovery time. Effort seems less for the same result 20mph in zone 2 (rolling hills). I intend to dial the diet further into the Ketosis zone.

Check out the book: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. Some very interesting studies are mentioned which add a lot to the information already available from Australia, UK and Lund (Sweden) on low carbing.

edited for spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyMac View Post
    Yes, I have. Whilst in the last few months I have not cycled faster, I have cycled with better breathing and less recovery time. Effort seems less for the same result 20mph in zone 2 (rolling hills). I intend to dial the diet further into the Ketosis zone.

Check out the book: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. Some very interesting studies are mentioned which add a lot to the information already available from Australia, UK and Lund (Sweden) on low carbing.

edited for spelling.
    Thanks JudyMac I'll be sure to get the book.

For others that may be interested, here is the link on Amazon - Amazon.com: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (9780983490715): Jeff S. Volek, Stephen D. Phinney: Books

Even more info from Peter Attia today (1 Jan) -- Ketosis

Note his explanation of the likely performance changes, and the n=1 correlations noted in the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Even more info from Peter Attia today (1 Jan) -- Ketosis

Note his explanation of the likely performance changes, and the n=1 correlations noted in the comments.
    Yes, very interesting, I believe this is the same link I posted in the opening.

I went Primal in May 2012 and have earned great results... I have lost 30lbs and my health numbers are solid. I stay away from all grains and processed sugar. However, at times I feel very tired/sluggish. Any tips on workouts or ways to avoid that sluggish feeling. I walk on a daily basis -golf, local track, etc... I would like to gain energy and to turn my remaining fat to muscle... I have a little bit of that skinny fat look.... Thanks for any ideas/help

Quote Originally Posted by Deering96 View Post
    I went Primal in May 2012 and have earned great results... I have lost 30lbs and my health numbers are solid. I stay away from all grains and processed sugar. However, at times I feel very tired/sluggish. Any tips on workouts or ways to avoid that sluggish feeling. I walk on a daily basis -golf, local track, etc... I would like to gain energy and to turn my remaining fat to muscle... I have a little bit of that skinny fat look.... Thanks for any ideas/help
    Hi Deering...Can you please give me an idea of what you typically eat each day? This will enable me to provide you with an appropriate response. What is your typical breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks if any. Do you do intermittant fasting?

Thanks for response--- I will eat a banana each morning plus a couple of eggs or bacon. I will have either burger or grilled chicken for lunch with carrots and a little cheese-- my dinner I will either have salmon burgers or baked salmon... Sometimes a steak or bison. I do eat a good amount of pork so a few times a week I will have a couple of pork chops. At dinner, I always have two vegatables--tomato and green peppers usually. I snack on apple, banana or walnuts. I do enjoy frozen fruit with heavy cream about 3 times a week and I found sugar free ice cream that I eat 2 times per week. I usually eat 3 meals per day -- I do not fast. I drink a good amount of water and too much coffee!!!
    Thanks again-Deering