Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ketosis and improved Aerobic Capacity and Muscular Endurance page 2

Deering96 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for response--- I will eat a banana each morning plus a couple of eggs or bacon. I will have either burger or grilled chicken for lunch with carrots and a little cheese-- my dinner I will either have salmon burgers or baked salmon... Sometimes a steak or bison. I do eat a good amount of pork so a few times a week I will have a couple of pork chops. At dinner, I always have two vegatables--tomato and green peppers usually. I snack on apple, banana or walnuts. I do enjoy frozen fruit with heavy cream about 3 times a week and I found sugar free ice cream that I eat 2 times per week. I usually eat 3 meals per day -- I do not fast. I drink a good amount of water and too much coffee!!!
    Thanks again-Deering

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deering96 View Post
    Thanks for response--- I will eat a banana each morning plus a couple of eggs or bacon. I will have either burger or grilled chicken for lunch with carrots and a little cheese-- my dinner I will either have salmon burgers or baked salmon... Sometimes a steak or bison. I do eat a good amount of pork so a few times a week I will have a couple of pork chops. At dinner, I always have two vegatables--tomato and green peppers usually. I snack on apple, banana or walnuts. I do enjoy frozen fruit with heavy cream about 3 times a week and I found sugar free ice cream that I eat 2 times per week. I usually eat 3 meals per day -- I do not fast. I drink a good amount of water and too much coffee!!!
    Thanks again-Deering
    Your diet seems fairly good, perhaps it would be beneficial to up the carbs a little by adding yams, sweet potatos or white rice a few times a week (do this only after you reach your goal weight). However, I am wondering about your testosterone levels. Have you had them checked? One way to naturally increase testosterone and HGH levels is by lifting heavy and doing some sprinting a couple of times each week. Check out the Primal Blue Print fitness program, I am sure it will be helpful.

JudyMac is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielJames021 View Post
    I was strict paleo for about 4 months (about 30-60 carbs daily) and lost about 30 pounds during that span. On the weekends I enjoy play racquetball and noticed I didn't have quite the intensity while playing that I've been accustomed to. Recently I've been cheating on my paleo diet (some days 300+ carbs) and have gained the intensity back on my racquetball days. Is this because of ketosis? Can I have intensity without glycogen in my muscle cells? Can I be in ketosis and still have intensity while working out and playing sports? Should I eat a sweet potato before playing? I want to stay in ketosis and keep losing weight but also have fun with intensity.
    It takes 3 weeks to fully adapt to ketosis. If at any time you eat more carbs than those you are in ketosis with (for the average person ketosis begins at 50g per day, though some people have to drop down to 10g), then you will leave ketosis and it will take you time to re-adapt.

Sounds like you are yo-yoing in and out of ketosis, and hitting the (flu) detox zone again and again. This will confuse your body as to which fuel source it is meant to use, thus the crap feeling.

Raquetball...is that what I'd call squash or tennis? Squash is anaerobic so your body will burn glycogen for fuel. Tennis has both aerobic and anaerobic intervals depending on how you play it - so would normally put you somewhere is zone 3, a half way house in terms of fat/sugar burning.

Deering96 is offline Junior Member
    I have not had them checked. I reached my ideal weight about 6 weeks ago 180lbs -- I am 6feet 1 inch and when started Primal diet I was 210. I will add some sprinting and heavy lifting....--- Thanks again-Deering

kot
    kot is offline Member
    Your fat burning potential can be increased by low heart rate training. see my prior post
    Fat burning vs carb use | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page

rockrunner Guest
    I bounce in and out of ketosis often and do my running fasted for up to 3.5 hours, if its going to be over 4 hours I eat some carbs starting around 2 hours in. I run by heartrate and keep it between 65 - 75% of max heartrate with almost no speedy running. I haven't noticed much difference performance wise...I have been in 2 races since going primal, one 10k trail race and a Sprint Triathlon...placed very well in both. Last summer I averaged about 30 - 40 miles a week peak mileage with a long run every 2 or 3 weeks... really like the low heartrate running especially on hilly trails.

I just finished reading the Volek and Phinney performance book...now I want to try out being fully keto-adapted over the next couple months as I start building my running miles back up slowly.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Check out the book: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. Some very interesting studies are mentioned which add a lot to the information already available from Australia, UK and Lund (Sweden) on low carbing.
    I've been reading & enjoying this book and just embarked on a low carb experiment myself. I do a lot of cycling as well as weightlifting as my main exercise and have been upping my running too recently.

As an aside I've recently been made aware that the Atkins diet has been updated (2010 I believe) to the point where it's now totally different to when it was at it's most popular a few years ago and very much in line with (a low-carb version of) the advice Mark gives on this site. The changes to the Atkins diet were made by the authors mentioned above.

Scott FM is offline Junior Member
    Interesting thread.

I had drifted off the program for a few months and came back in late November. I was attempting to keep below 75gms of carbs and, on average, actually did so.

What I did find was that during taekwondo workouts my concentration was seriously compromised. Beyond that, I tested for belt rank in mid December and was totally blown 3 rounds into the 6 round sparring portion of the test. Muscle reaction, breathing, even focus was shot.

I had eaten well that morning but skipped eating the yam as I had intended. The idea of the yo-yo effect actually seems to explain what transpired.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    What I did find was that during taekwondo workouts my concentration was seriously compromised.
    A lot of people report irritability and lack of concentration whilst low or very low carb. But then, some don't. It really seems to be an individual thing - in fact that seems to be a particular point in the new Atkins book (although I haven't read it) - trying to find a person's optimal carb intake rather than just saying keep below an arbitrary number.

vishnuns39620 is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up A really info-heavy thread !! Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    A lot of people report irritability and lack of concentration whilst low or very low carb. But then, some don't. It really seems to be an individual thing - in fact that seems to be a particular point in the new Atkins book (although I haven't read it) - trying to find a person's optimal carb intake rather than just saying keep below an arbitrary number.
    I was going through all the posts here in this thread & a question popped into my head - Isnt it true that being in Ketosis all through is not really something we try to achieve via the Primal lifestyle? And that its just low carb (~80-100 g/day) thats the ultimate goal for gradual effortless weight loss & optimal body performance.

Please correct me if I'm wrong; young Grok here. Thank you all again!

Regards,
    Vishnu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12