Thread: Is there help for atrophied villi? page

The Beckster is offline Junior Member

Question Is there help for atrophied villi?

I've been following the primal blueprint for about 4 months now, and I finally gave up dairy last week (except for butter). I realize it will take more time for the villi in my intenstines to heal from years of gluten and dairy abuse, but is there anything I can do or take that will help the healing process along? Do probiotics improve the atrophied villi? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any personal experience with atrophied villi, so this suggestion may not help, but I have done a lot of research on leaky gut issues, and one of the main recommendations that keeps reappearing is to drink lots of bone broth (which contains proline and glycine in the form of gelatin) and supplement with L-Glutamine (an amino acid which is required by the intestines to fuel repair). I've been using homemade bone broth, daily supplementation of L-Glutamine, and a low-fiber diet to heal my digestive issues. It took months, but I was successful.

From the Body Ecology website:

Glutamine is the most important nutrient that you can give to your body to support the repair of the intestinal lining. It is the preferred fuel and nitrogen source for the small intestine. Studies have shown that glutamine supports the regeneration and repair of the intestinal epithelia.

L-Glutamine the villi super healer for coeliacs | Gluten Free Guerrillas community | HealthUnlocked

Healing Gut Permeability: What You Need to Know / All Body Ecology Articles

Broth is Beautiful - Weston A Price Foundation

Gelatin, stress, longevity

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I recall reading (somewhere, a long time ago) that the cellular turnover in the gut takes about 6 months to be complete (100% turnover). I have no idea where or when I ran into that, but it might prove an avenue of investigation for you.

My personal experience is that the longer I avoid grains, the better I am overall. Every now and then I'm in a situation with sneaky added wheat (usually as a filler - like restaurant meatballs). I can tell when I've had it by my lower GI reaction - but it's less and less over time. I've been low carb, more or less, for about 3 years. I've been grain free for most of one year, and in nutritional ketosis since early Sept.

Maybe that helps with perspective, though you will be at least somewhat different from me.

Timthetaco Guest
    Your post is pretty vague, and it's kind of extreme to self-diagnose like this without any kind of proof. Maybe you do have proof and you just didn't share it. Are you celiac? Do you have any confirmed nutrient deficiencies (like B12)? Have you had an endoscopy?

The Beckster is offline Junior Member
    I haven't had an endoscopy or confirmed nutrient deficiencies (besides anemia). I didn't think about have any other tests run. I assumed that I had damage in my gut due to wheat and dairy in my diet and chronic diarrhea. The doctor did some tests last week, but it wasn't an endoscopy. I'm just trying to find a way to get rid of my bowel issues without taking immodium everyday. Good call on further testing. I might need to see a gastroenterologist.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    clean first
    then rebuild

to me cleaning meant huge doses of C and Magnesium to flush the walls clean. took the better part of 9 months of daily attention

once that was complete i started serious gut bacterial re population. Fage yougurt and other fermented foods FTW.

I still get th eoccasional pocket of release ( odd stool, large amonia release ) but that is few and far between.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com