Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Dr. Kurt Harris abandoned the paleo community because we're crazy. page 2

Timthetaco Guest
    His fanboys claim his blog is understandable to the layman. What layman where, exactly?

Some helpful advice from a random low carb lunatic over at Diet Doctor:

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Yeah, I put his picture into one of those ASCII generators. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
    It's kind of funny how upset so many people got when he changed his direction.

I think Harris just became a bit disillusioned about a lot of things in regards to Taubes/lowcarb and paleo in general. There's a lot of things in paleoland that the majority agreed upon a few years ago yet seems ridiculous now. Hell, it was only a few months ago that the large fluffy ldl was "non-athrogenic".

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea who Harris is, but I know that there are problems and some are serious, both in terms of nutritional and socio-political extremism.
    Just yesterday night, I was reading some guy (well known in nutrition/health community) who posts a lot about nutrition. His only article on a different topic can be firmly placed in the Ron Paul/neo-Nazi/conspiracies camp. Not so long ago, he participated in paleo-primal conference - all smiles and curbing of Nazi salute. He wasn't alone there. I also watched a video linked from this forum (an interesting topic) and saw a white supremacist, also all smiles ... and preaching about civility. It's a pity I wasn't there. I would teach the bastard "civility." I think that community should face this reality. I checked all the right sources and not a single says that people interested in nutrition/health should be scoundrels, even though there are some "nice' traditions here.
    Last edited by anna5; 01-03-2013 at 10:27 AM.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    yup... peter at hyperlipid - i call emperor's new clothes. does anyone really know what the fuck he's talking about, all of the time? small fraction of the time at best...
    It took me about six months of research before I felt I understood Peter. That doesn't mean I always agree with his conclusions, but I have the utmost respect for him and for his work.

I will be blunt: Anyone who even thinks about calling "emperor's new clothes" on Peter has no intellectual standing to be giving out dietary advice - let alone calling anyone out for lack of knowledge.

You're not the only one, though. People think they understand Stephan but not Peter: what that really means is that they don't understand either of them. Stephan's pronouncements are simple and easy to digest - but they usually fall apart under scientific scrutiny, because obesity research is a political field, not a scientific one. In contrast, Peter's work presupposes a knowledge of biochemistry and a basic familiarity with the literature, and is more difficult for the layman to follow - but it's based on science, not politics, and therefore holds up under examination. He's also much more honest about labeling his opinions and speculations as such, vs. camouflaging them under the authority of a "scientific consensus" that doesn't exist.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    I have no idea who Harris is, but I know that there are problems and some are serious, both in terms of nutritional and socio-political extremism.
    Just yesterday night, I was reading some guy (well known in nutrition/health community) who posts a lot about nutrition. His only article on a different topic can be firmly placed in the Ron Paul/neo-Nazi/conspiracies camp. Not so long ago, he participated in paleo-primal conference - all smiles and curbing of Nazi salute. He wasn't alone there. I also watched a video linked from this forum (an interesting topic) and saw a white supremacist, also all smiles ... and preaching about civility. It's a pity I wasn't there. I would teach the bastard "civility." I think that community should face this reality. I checked all the right sources and not a single says that people interested in nutrition/health should be scoundrels, even though there are some "nice' traditions here.
    Care to explain how you believe Ron Paul and neo-nazis are in the same group? That doesn't make any sense.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    It took me about six months of research before I felt I understood Jack Kruse. That doesn't mean I always agree with his conclusions, but I have the utmost respect for him and for his work.

I will be blunt: Anyone who even thinks about calling "emperor's new clothes" on Kruse has no intellectual standing to be giving out dietary advice - let alone calling anyone out for lack of knowledge.
    I couldn't resist.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    It took me about six months of research before I felt I understood Peter. That doesn't mean I always agree with his conclusions, but I have the utmost respect for him and for his work.

I will be blunt: Anyone who even thinks about calling "emperor's new clothes" on Peter has no intellectual standing to be giving out dietary advice - let alone calling anyone out for lack of knowledge.
    JS, your blog is great, and i love many of your posts. i'll call BS on anyone i see fit to, and give out advice likewise. cause this is 'murika. if peter wants to be understood by a lay audience, he can write in order to do so. if he wants to persuade biochemists married to the insulin hypothesis of obesity, he probably doesn't need to do much persuading anyway. in my estimation, “if you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Care to explain how you believe Ron Paul and neo-nazis are in the same group? That doesn't make any sense.
    No, I don't care. Certain things should be obvious. Yes, neo-Nazism doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by anna5; 01-04-2013 at 04:50 AM.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    No, I don't care. Certain things should be obvious. Yes, neo-Nazism doesn't make sense.
    The only obvious thing about that statement is that the author likes to make wild accusations on the interwebs.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    godwin's law.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast