Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sardine selection question page

desertland is offline Member

Sardine selection question

Shop Now
    I'm off to buy some canned meats today and I'm going to get some sardines in oil. What about the sardines in mustard sauce, tomato sauce and smoked oysters? I want to avoid appetite fatigue and that is hard right now as my home is filled with enough grains to feed off of for 6 months. Not kidding either.

ericfoster3 is offline Senior Member
    My favorite is Beach Cliff brand Herring Steaks in Louisiana Hot Sauce. Yum.
    28..jpg

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Do you like sardines? If not - you should definitely start with the boneless skinless variety. Otherwise, you'll have a cupboard full of tins you won't touch. I've found the Italian, Portuguese and Spanish brands of canned fish in general to be superior.

Oh - that reminds me. Here you go: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/301739

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I had a can of the sardines in water a couple nights ago. I put my own spicy mustard (and some habanero powder of course). In general I'd rather just have the fish in water and avoid the other crap that they put in with them. Sauce seems to be just a delivery tool for HFCS in everything these days.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile
    I got lucky and found cheap tinned herring steaks at my butcher that come in a spicy mustard sauce. Vinegar, mustard, turmeric, salt, and one or two other things I don't remember offhand...but NO NASTIES like HFCS! Praise be!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Most of the flavored varieties contain some quantity of undesirables, like HFCS, sugar, or preservatives. The oil-packed varieties tend to be in soybean oil. So, I usually buy the water-packed types.

BUT, if you won't eat the plain ol' water-packed ones, I'd venture a guess that the mustard/hot sauce/whatever varieties aren't too terrible. Could be a case in which the benefits outweigh the cost.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

desertland is offline Member
    Thanks for the fast replies! Very helpful with the link ( thanks Suki ) and if I can find the beach cliff Herring steaks I'll get some of them. Oh, and yes I have eaten sardines. Mostly back when I was in the military. Some how smoked oysters and sardines in mustard always found there way to the field. Only thing is they always went with club crackers.
    Speaking of, any reason smoked oysters are on the no touch list?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I buy boneless/skinless packed in water, and then mix with my own mustard and hot sauce.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Regular (with skin & bones) in olive oil. I had some packed in water over the weekend. Yuck. I'm not a huge fan anyway, but I try to eat 1 can a week.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertland View Post
    Speaking of, any reason smoked oysters are on the no touch list?
    Are they on a no-no list?

Every time I look at them, I see 5-7g carbs/serving on the label and pass them up in favor of a 0-carb canned seafood.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast