Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to say no to Gluten-Free? page 3

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    No thanks should be sufficient. I see no need for further explanation. This response, sometimes repeated, has always worked for me.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    There are definitely people who don't want to take "no" for an answer. It is probably cultural/regional. Seems to happen more here in Tejas than it did in SoCal.

I had that problem yesterday. Someone brought in something they really loved and wanted others (me included) to try. My "no, thank you" was a personal disappointment to them.

Another tactic is to accept a small portion but don't eat it. People rarely watch to make sure you eat what you take.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I tell people that I don't eat grains and avoid GMO, that cancels out the whole gluten arguement. Since gluten-free is often replaced with rice flour and potato starch, that covers all my bases.

For the insistant person, I have a cold stare, and say "which was more difficult? The Nnnnn or the Oooo?" Then again, I am a a-hole.

ryanmercer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    And with all those except the last one, the giver of sweets will be able to come up with a comeback. At least you can offend them with the last one.
    " A girl scout once tried to sell me cookies. I ate her liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti"
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I have had good success with the, 'not right now, but could I take a piece for later' strategy. It works pretty well on those who won't take 'no'. And sometimes, you just don't want to get into it, you know? I have non-primal family members, or it gets tossed into the compost.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    grow up and don't eat it

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    You dont need to eat anything you dont want to. Hopefully you outgrew peer pressure in High school.

I say no thanks, I explain if needed that I dont eat any sugar or grains at all and if they keep insisting I take one then drop it on the floor or in the garbage in front of them. Then I walk away. I too have been accused of being an A hole.

The fact is I dont give a damn what anyone but my family and some of my friends think of me.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    " A girl scout once tried to sell me cookies. I ate her liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti"
    *thpthpthpthpthp*
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    These "just be an asshole like me" posts are kinda strange. Where do you people work/live that it makes sense to firebomb your professional (assuming that applies to you) social capital for basically zero gain?

For many of us, we have a professional life where social grace actually has real-life ramifications. If a coworker bakes some sort of Xmas desert and brings it into the office, and I throw the plate she brings me on the floor, you know what? I'm going to have a harder time working with her for years. That will impact my job performance. That means tens, or hundreds, of thousands of dollars of my future income thrown away for want of 10 seconds of civility. Why on earth would anyone follow that course?

This isn't about peer pressure, it's about the fact that people who cannot gracefully negotiate a benign social encounter like a coworker handing them a treat are going to get noticed in a bad way.

I'm all for being an asshole when it's called for. This isn't even close to such a situation.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sabine View Post
    i have had good success with the, 'not right now, but could i take a piece for later' strategy. It works pretty well on those who won't take 'no'. And sometimes, you just don't want to get into it, you know? I have non-primal family members, or it gets tossed into the compost.
    love this!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast