Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to say no to Gluten-Free? page 2

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    "no thank you I'm not hungry"

"sorry I'm diabetic"

"did you wash your dirty poop hands before you handled those?"
    And with all those except the last one, the giver of sweets will be able to come up with a comeback. At least you can offend them with the last one.
    Georgette

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    The sad thing is here in Canada the government supports these gluten free "food" alternatives. For example you can get a tax deduction on the difference in price between the cost of regular bread and gluten free bread BUT you can't used the deduction to buy real food.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    If you really don't feel you can say no, just take it and toss it.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    There is always the old, "It doesn't like me," line.
    +1

Sugar does not like me. And those gluten free foods contain lots of sugar.

Sometimes, I would have a bit of the gluten free stuff. As long as I don't overdo it, I'm good.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I just say no, thanks. I've been eating this way for almost two years and so far i haven't had to explain further.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Ahh yes... the concept of being primal is really easy until you realise you have to deal with other people trying to feed you stuff People who will, the majority of the time, just not "get" it.

I think the easiest thing is sometimes just to lie and say you've got an allergy to XYZ, or your doctor has put you on a sugar free diet, or some other rubbish that is easier for people mired in CW to accept.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    Ahh yes... the concept of being primal is really easy until you realise you have to deal with other people trying to feed you stuff People who will, the majority of the time, just not "get" it.

I think the easiest thing is sometimes just to lie and say you've got an allergy to XYZ, or your doctor has put you on a sugar free diet, or some other rubbish that is easier for people mired in CW to accept.
    This does them and you a disservice. Just say no. If they persist or ask why, simply tell them why you eat as you do (we should all be prepared for this). If you get a negative reaction shrug
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    This does them and you a disservice. Just say no. If they persist or ask why, simply tell them why you eat as you do (we should all be prepared for this). If you get a negative reaction shrug
    While you're right, I think a lot of people don't want to hear it, and will argue the point with you. Honestly, I've tried... Really, at the moment I'm just trying to make my life as easy as possible, which means avoiding dietary confrontation! (Really, if someone IS receptive, I'll be happy to talk to them... but so many people aren't... I get it, because it wasn't so long ago that I wouldn't have "got" it either!).

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    No thank you, but I don't eat processed foods, even if its gluten free.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for the replies everyone. Unfortunately, gluten-free bascially takes us back to Square 1 in how to say no to wheat.

"I'm allergic to xyz," even if I'm not. <--- This is lying outright, which is a far worse problem than a little gluten.

"This is store bought and probably has junk in it. I don't eat processed food." <--- This probably works. But then, "no thanks" works just as well. Nobody has an emotional tie to something from Safeway.

"This is homemade, but I don't eat processed food." <--- This is a straight up insult. To a SAD, home-baked doesn't count as processed. And they've already gone through the extra effort of making it gluten-free. Refusing it insults your hostess/friend twice, first by calling their labor of love "processed," second by dismissing the extra effort.

"I'm trying to avoid sugar." <--- prompts requests to have just a little bit. In that case I have a little bit and don't stress.

"I am Primal I eat as our sacred ancestors did I only eat whole foods I don't put poison in my body" and similar primal screeds. <--- Assuming they weren't turned off by the screen, a SAD is justifiably puzzled. Wasn't gluten the poison.. there isn't any gluten here... why is it poison now?

I found that the best action is to say "no thanks" to store bought stuff, and to take one bite of home-made stuff. It's not going to kill me.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast