Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food too expensive .. page 2

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I spend around 120 per week for a family of 4 and 2 dogs and 2 cats. You must be eating well.

Salmon is procey unless on a special, wild caught frozen Alaskan Pollack from LIDL is 5 per kilo. They also do tinned wild salmon for 1.99 for a 400grm tin.

Offal can be cheap, bacon in bulk around a fiver a kilo. Eggs are good and cheap. I also bulk buy free range chicken breasts from the local butcher, works out at 35 a kilo too.

Frozen veg is cheap as chips, I get spinach, broccoli etc as backup and buy fresh veg from greengrocers.

It can all be done on the cheap, in fact, I think that my personal food costs have gone down a lot since eating this way.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Buy more fat, eat cheaper cuts, don't buy so much fish. Salmon is freaking expensive.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

LatinaVaquerita is offline Junior Member
    Hi, when I switched from regular food buying to only hormone free/dye free/chemical free foods, my food bill for two adults went up only 25 dollars or so. It just seems like a lot more when you're paying but if you subtract one eat out meal per month or two, it's no biggie. You don't always have to be eating meat if it's so expensive where you live: eggs, even things like nitrate free all beef hot dog packs go a long way to make with veggies & eggs. You can consume your fats in a day with eggs, veggies & coconut oil also. Eat vegetarian plates cooked in bacon fat, butter or coconut oil, I bet you could decrease your bill a bit. Sounds like you're trying to buy up everything on the primal list, but you don't necessarily need to do that for the meat dept. I hope that helps, good luck!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I agree that even extremely heavy lifters don't need to eat four times a day. That's an old hold-out from CW that has been continually proven false.

Even Mark has this to say about post-workout nutrition: Post Workout Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Buy more fat, eat cheaper cuts, don't buy so much fish. Salmon is freaking expensive.
    This ^ while fish is yummy, it's way too expensive unless you are going out and catching it yourself. I love me some fish but it's 8-20$ a pound here so 4.93GBP to 12.33GBP per .45kg where I can get a .45kg of pork steak for 2.12gbp, and chicken for about 2.40gbp.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    http://onepoundmeals.blog.com/ seems to have solid British-centric advice.

But in general, maybe find some cheap sources of fat? Just from the above list you look pretty protein-heavy.

I have found a price book also helps, you can easily compare oranges to oranges, and even apples to oranges, so to speak, if you have the price/lb or oz. all figured out. For example, I was buying some salami packages for my kid, but now that he's not such a fan of it, I'm buying more meat that isn't @ $11/lb (even grass-fed hotdogs are half that price!).
    Promotion, yay!
    I'll be updating again soon, I promise...
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

JudyMac is offline Member
    May I suggest doing an online search for farms that sell direct.

When we lived in the UK, my husband and I bought a large chest freezer that lived in the garage. We bought lamb direct from Wales, beef from Scotland etc, you can even buy fish in season in bulk. They deliver in 24 hrs within insulated boxes. You then portion it and freeze.

Also aim for cheaper cuts that can be used in soups and stews.
    Beef: Stewing steak, brisket, shin, oxtail and mince. Liver and kidneys.
    Lamb: Scrag end of neck, chump chops, kidneys.
    Fish: Sardines, Mackerel, Herring, Coley, Rockfish, Clams, Whelks etc

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yep, local, cheap cuts, canned fish, foods that organic doesn't matter on like bananas and avocados. Start at grocery outlet and other grocery discount places and find Primal diamonds in the rough. I spend 50 dollars a week on myself, and it means shopping upwards of 5 different stores. Grocery Outlet, Trader Joe's, Whole foods (we only buy meat, eggs and nuts there) I'm sure they are making almost no money off of me because I only buy the sale, cheap, seasonal, etc. foods. Except eggs. I spend 2x what most do on my duck eggs and pastured chicken eggs. But, yeah. Shop around. Check out the Asian markets, the Ukraine market, places you would normally avoid and assume would have nothing you'd like. Doesn't hurt to walk in and look around.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12